Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2017/10/17 09:52:03 UTC

[git] Migration scheduled for 18 Oct, 22:00 CEST and final notes

Hi,

The discussions with infra are settling and I would like to schedule
the migration for tomorrow evening at 22:00 CEST. I am not sure of the
"downtime", but hopefully it won't be more than a couple of hours.

Some final notes:

- there is no access to features that require administrative access to
the repos. That includes, but not limited to: travis integration,
setting descriptions, tags, certain kinds of bots.
- infra is ok with this migration, but is likely to be overwhelmed if
we are going to have requests that require manual intervention to our
200+ repositories. We are expected to assist ( e.g. by providing
scripts ) should too many repositories need attention or break
- there is at least one project that is scaling down its number of git
repositories (couchdb), mainly due to (quoting):

a) PRs on different repos for the same semantic change need unusual
   coordination to land, intermittent CI will break, or needs
   extra tooling.
b) Keeping main dependency list updated by hand is tedious (can be
   automated tho).
c) Doing branches/tags/releases synchronised across all repos is a
   pain (can be automated, but is an extra layer of hassle either way).

For me personally all of these are fine, and I expect that the
improvements brought by Git will offset the downsides. I want to make
sure though that everyone is aware of these and and considers that the
SVN to Git migration can proceed.

Please speak up if you find something of concern.

Thanks,

Robert

RE: [git] Migration scheduled for 18 Oct, 22:00 CEST and final notes

Posted by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de>.
+1

Posted by Julian Sedding <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:
> ...Do we now have to contact infra before we can create a new module ?..

https://gitbox.apache.org has a link to create new repositories.

-Bertrand

Re: [git] Migration scheduled for 18 Oct, 22:00 CEST and final notes

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2017-10-18 at 13:20 +0100, Ian Boston wrote:
> Also, I assume any existing Pull requests will have to be ported to
> the new
> structure, and if they cover multiple repositories they will have to
> be
> synchronized to prevent breaking builds.

I posted a couple of weeks ago a message on every pull request asking
submitters to make sure their pull requests are available locally as
that repository will be going away.

Unfortunately I can't move over the pull requests to the new repos and
"soon", probably this week, after the migration is done, the old Sling
github repo will be taken down and replaced.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi,
Does that mean, every repo will have 1 pom.xml file and no more than one ?

If so, what will be the steps for creating a new module in say
contrib/extensions be ?

Currently its
mkdir
edit/build/test commit.

Do we now have to contact infra before we can create a new module ?

Also, I assume any existing Pull requests will have to be ported to the new
structure, and if they cover multiple repositories they will have to be
synchronized to prevent breaking builds.

Best Regards
Ian

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 10:19 PM, Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de> wrote:

> [...]

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

RE: [git] Migration scheduled for 18 Oct, 22:00 CEST and final notes

Posted by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de>.

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.
On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 8:49 AM Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> Perhaps the people that actually work with these multi-project
> extensions would like to comment? By a quick check we have:
>
> - models

The models bundles can be released independently, i.e. I've done a number
of releases of the implementation bundle without touching the API bundle.

While Konrad is correct that ITs are an issue, my strong preference with
Sling Models is to minimize the use of ITs, i.e. use them only for code
paths which are difficult to test via a unit test, so I don't really see
that as an issue.

Regards,
Justin

Re: [git] Migration scheduled for 18 Oct, 22:00 CEST and final notes

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.
I see the main issues with a tighter coupling of API and Impl with the according IT module or test-services bundle.
In the best case every bugfix or new feature should also be reflected in the ITs.
So after thinking a bit more about it, I think it is fine to derive from our general 1 module = 1 git repository pattern for at least

1. validation
2. models
3. healthcheck
and maybe some others where the ITs are in a dedicated module and not in the generic launchpad testing.

That way it is much easier to encourage people to also contribute to ITs (because opening two PRs, one for the actual feature/bugfix and another one for the IT is a lot of hassle). Also checking the PRs becomes easier, because the reactor build will also build and execute the ITs.
Konrad

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Christian,

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
[...]

So I propose to rather use one repository per extension. Additionally I
[...]

Best
Christian

> The discussions with infra are settling and I would like to schedule
> the migration for tomorrow evening at 22:00 CEST. I am not sure of the
> "downtime", but hopefully it won't be more than a couple of hours.
>
> Some final notes:
>
> - there is no access to features that require administrative access to
> the repos. That includes, but not limited to: travis integration,
> setting descriptions, tags, certain kinds of bots.
> - infra is ok with this migration, but is likely to be overwhelmed if
> we are going to have requests that require manual intervention to our
> 200+ repositories. We are expected to assist ( e.g. by providing
> scripts ) should too many repositories need attention or break
> - there is at least one project that is scaling down its number of git
> repositories (couchdb), mainly due to (quoting):
>
> a) PRs on different repos for the same semantic change need unusual
>    coordination to land, intermittent CI will break, or needs
>    extra tooling.
> b) Keeping main dependency list updated by hand is tedious (can be
>    automated tho).
> c) Doing branches/tags/releases synchronised across all repos is a
>    pain (can be automated, but is an extra layer of hassle either way).
>
> For me personally all of these are fine, and I expect that the
> improvements brought by Git will offset the downsides. I want to make
> sure though that everyone is aware of these and and considers that the
> SVN to Git migration can proceed.
>
> Please speak up if you find something of concern.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de