Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/24 13:39:29 UTC

jsecurity status ...

Hi guys,

have alook at Henry Yandell post today :
http://blog.generationjava.com/roller/bayard/entry/state-of-the-incubator

"JSecurity <http://incubator.apache.org/projects/jsecurity.html> - Java
+ Security. Woo. There since May, no website. Can’t be arsed."

:/

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Peter Ledbrook wrote:
>> I don't think so. Howerver, it should be pretty easy to move the current
>> JSecurity site to Apache.
>>
>> Anyway, the message is pretty clear, and it's not about the web site only :
>> unless we start migrating the whole stuff (code, site, jira, etc) to Apache,
>> it's considered as a non apache project. A real concern, after near 5 months
>> in incubation.
>>

> Crikey, 5 months already? Time has flown...

Champion's recruitment started on May, 9th... Time is flying almost as
fast as Dow Jones fells...

>> It's time to move forward !
>>

> Agreed. Looking back, I see Les wanted to get a 0.9.0 release out
> before transferring the source code. Here's hoping we hear from him
> soon. I would certainly favour just moving everything across in one
> fell swoop - the delays have gradually built up. I'll help with what I
> can.

It's important, because code is nothing compared to community building.
If we don't want JSecurity to stay forever into the incubator, of course :)

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Peter Ledbrook <pe...@cacoethes.co.uk>.
> I don't think so. Howerver, it should be pretty easy to move the current
> JSecurity site to Apache.
>
> Anyway, the message is pretty clear, and it's not about the web site only :
> unless we start migrating the whole stuff (code, site, jira, etc) to Apache,
> it's considered as a non apache project. A real concern, after near 5 months
> in incubation.

Crikey, 5 months already? Time has flown...

> It's time to move forward !

Agreed. Looking back, I see Les wanted to get a 0.9.0 release out
before transferring the source code. Here's hoping we hear from him
soon. I would certainly favour just moving everything across in one
fell swoop - the delays have gradually built up. I'll help with what I
can.

What are your thoughts Les?

Cheers,

Peter

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Peter Ledbrook <pe...@cacoethes.co.uk>.

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
> There's a number of older, more established, usages.  I sent an email to
> legal@ and the Incubator list about this earlier this year.  I can dig them
> up if you want to but page through a few of the entries from Google and
> you'll find them.

Np! I will do my homeworks ;)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Fwd: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy Haile wrote:
> Les - here's the only email I see in my history with a list of usages.
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: "Peter Ledbrook" <pe...@cacoethes.co.uk>
>> Date: October 29, 2008 10:35:45 AM EDT
>> To: jsecurity-dev@incubator.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: jsecurity status ...
>>
>>> There's a number of older, more established, usages.  I sent an
>>> email to
>>> legal@ and the Incubator list about this earlier this year.  I can
>>> dig them
>>> up if you want to but page through a few of the entries from Google and
>>> you'll find them.
>>
>> I have to say I'm having trouble finding much in the sea of links
>> related to our JSecurity. So far:
>>
>> * J(oomla)Security
>> * jsecurity.net - commercial company offering security solutions for
>> Java (no idea how long they've been around)
>> * j-security - An offering from Juniper networks; doesn't seem to be
>> trademarked
>> * jsecurity.com - a blog
>>
>> I still need persuading that changing the name is a good idea.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Peter

Thanks to gmail :

It does not have to be a product to be protected, it's about trademark
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark>), and as stated by the Apache
page I pointed to :

"Trademarks exist by virtue of use, not just registration"

Now, looking a bit forward on google, here are some other references to
JSecurity :

http://jwicglobal.com/Knowledge.htm <http://jwicglobal.com/Knowledge.htm>
"WIC GLOBAL has developed a comprehensive Information Security
Assessment service called JSecurity. Our JSecurity experts will conduct
a full information security risk assessment focusing on:"

http://www.juniper.net/security/ <http://www.juniper.net/security/>
Seems like they have a service called  J-Security. Be sure that Juniper
has a legal service who might perfectly well send some nicely written
"cease and desist" letter to the ASF about this name. Not sure that our
legals want to deal with that ...

http://www.jegers.com/dnn/Products/JPortfolio/tabid/83/Default.aspx
<http://www.jegers.com/dnn/Products/JPortfolio/tabid/83/Default.aspx>
Another JSecurity... Seems to be around since 2/11/2005 (at least)

http://www.powerlogic.com.br/powerportal/ecp/files.do?evento=download&urlArqPlc=fld_jc_produc_ing_web2.pdf
<http://www.powerlogic.com.br/powerportal/ecp/files.do?evento=download&urlArqPlc=fld_jc_produc_ing_web2.pdf>
This company has a product named JSecurity. Since when ?

As much as I like the JSecurity name, I also think that we are un
potential jeopardy if we don't change its name. That's the main issue we
have : we can't afford any kind of legal action when we already know
that there are company out there which already use this name.

Anyway, I can be wrong, I'm just trying to gather as much information as
possible. When you guys think you have set your mind about this name,
you will have to go to legal@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> with
the selected name (be it JSecurity or any other) to double check that
it's ok or not (IFAIK). That is one of the condition to exit from the
incubator :
"Check of project name for trademark issues "
(http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Graduation+Requirements

Fwd: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy Haile wrote:
> Yeah, Les and I looked around a lot before choosing the name
> originally and didn't see anything that would conflict.

The problem is that we can't take _any_ risk. Even with the few examples
we have found on the net, and _even_ if there is only one, it's a big no
no for The ASF.

Sounds heavy, but there is no other way, as The ASF is deploying its
legal umbrella on top of every project, in order to relieve individual
responsability.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [Jsecurity name] was: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Peter Ledbrook wrote:
>> Maybe we could "fight" them all to claim we were the "first" but why?  I
>> would rather be coding than wasting my time with this.  I don't think it's
>> worth the risk.  IMO, I think we can come up with something a little more
>> original than jSecurity.
>>

> For what it's worth, a few suggestions in case we decide to change the name:
>
> Knox
> Alcatraz
> Lockdown

ServeAndProtect ? :)

Posted by Peter Ledbrook <pe...@cacoethes.co.uk>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Nov 3, 2008, at 6:33 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Jeremy Haile wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, none of those are *products*, so they fail the
>> "similar" *product* test.
>>
> It does not have to be a product to be protected, it's about
> trademark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark), and as stated by
> the Apache page I pointed to :
>
> "Trademarks exist by virtue of use, not just registration"
>
> Now, looking a bit forward on google, here are some other references
> to JSecurity :
>
> http://jwicglobal.com/Knowledge.htm
> "WIC GLOBAL has developed a comprehensive Information Security
> Assessment service called JSecurity. Our JSecurity experts will
> conduct a full information security risk assessment focusing on:"
>
> http://www.juniper.net/security/
> Seems like they have a service called  J-Security. Be sure that
> Juniper has a legal service who might perfectly well send some
> nicely written "cease and desist" letter to the ASF about this name.
> Not sure that our legals want to deal with that ...
>
> http://www.jegers.com/dnn/Products/JPortfolio/tabid/83/Default.aspx
> Another JSecurity... Seems to be around since 2/11/2005 (at least)
>
> http://www.powerlogic.com.br/powerportal/ecp/files.do?evento=download&urlArqPlc=fld_jc_produc_ing_web2.pdf
> This company has a product named JSecurity. Since when ?
>
> As much as I like the JSecurity name, I also think that we are un
> potential jeopardy if we don't change its name. That's the main
> issue we have : we can't afford any kind of legal action when we
> already know that there are company out there which already use this
> name.
>
> Anyway, I can be wrong, I'm just trying to gather as much
> information as possible. When you guys think you have set your mind
> about this name, you will have to go to legal@apache.org with the
> selected name (be it JSecurity or any other) to double check that
> it's ok or not (IFAIK). That is one of the condition to exit from
> the incubator :
> "Check of project name for trademark issues " (http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Graduation+Requirements
> ).

Thanks for digging into this deeper Emmanuel.   If all of the above
were in the realm of basket weaving or making jam preserves we would
be ok.

Maybe we could "fight" them all to claim we were the "first" but why?
I would rather be coding than wasting my time with this.  I don't
think it's worth the risk.  IMO, I think we can come up with something
a little more original than jSecurity.

Regards,
Alan

Re: [Jsecurity name] was: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

you will have to go to legal@apache.org with the selected name (be it

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
As far as I can tell, none of those are *products*, so they fail the
"similar" *product* test.

> * J(oomla)Security
Joomla is the name of the product.  There doesn't appear to be anything
that is called J(oomla) Security - it's simply their webpage about
Joomla's Security.

> * jsecurity.net - commercial company offering security solutions for Java (no idea how long they've been around)
The domain wasn't even registered until WAY after the JSecurity project
was created.  Need to research when company was founded, but doesn't
appear to be trademarked.  Their product is called ClassGuard.

> * j-security - An offering from Juniper networks; doesn't seem to be trademarked
J-security is simply what they're calling their security homepage, where
they have forums, etc.  It's not the name of a product.

> * jsecurity.com - a b
This is a blog, not a product.

Re: [Jsecurity name] was: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy Haile wrote:
> Which of the websites that have been mentioned do you think offer a
> "similar" product?

copy/pasting Peter's list :

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
Which of the websites that have been mentioned do you think offer a
"similar" product?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

Jeremy Haile wrote:
> Yeah, Les and I looked around a lot before choosing the name
> originally and didn't see anything that would conflict.
>

> On Oct 29, 2008, at 10:35 AM, Peter Ledbrook wrote:
>
>>> There's a number of older, more established, usages.  I sent an
>>> email to
>>> legal@ and the Incubator list about this earlier this year.  I can
>>> dig them
>>> up if you want to but page through a few of the entries from Google and
>>> you'll find them.
>>
>> I have to say I'm having trouble finding much in the sea of links
>> related to our JSecurity. So far:
>>
>> * J(oomla)Security
>> * jsecurity.net - commercial company offering security solutions for
>> Java (no idea how long they've been around)
>> * j-security - An offering from Juniper networks; doesn't seem to be
>> trademarked
>> * jsecurity.com - a blog
>>
>> I still need persuading that changing the name is a good idea.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Peter

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Peter Ledbrook <pe...@cacoethes.co.uk>.

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Peter Ledbrook wrote:
>
>> There's a lot of projects that will be java and security eventually.  No
>>> reason why jsecurity should take the general name as it's own.  I
>>> recommend
>>> finding another name for it.  For example we could have named Triplesec
>>> jsecurity but we did not because it would violate this spoken policy.
>>>

>> The name JSecurity has quite a bit of traction already in the Grails
>> community, so I think there would have to be a very good reason for
>> such a change.
>>
> Alex does not suggest that you change the name, but if you have to keep
> JSecurity web site alive, then we have to find another name for the Apache
> product (correct me if i'm wrong, Alex).

I'm saying a name other than JSecurity is needed.

Alex

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Peter Ledbrook wrote:
>> There's a lot of projects that will be java and security eventually.  No
>> reason why jsecurity should take the general name as it's own.  I recommend
>> finding another name for it.  For example we could have named Triplesec
>> jsecurity but we did not because it would violate this spoken policy.
>>

> The name JSecurity has quite a bit of traction already in the Grails
> community, so I think there would have to be a very good reason for
> such a change.
Alex does not suggest that you change the name, but if you have to keep
JSecurity web site alive, then we have to find another name for the
Apache product (correct me if i'm wrong, Alex).

IMHO, the simplest would be to move all of Jsecurity web site to Apache,
keeping the name, et all.

Except if we find, during the incubation and IP clearing, that it's a
real problem (but this is one of the incubation target, beside a wealthy
community :)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Peter Ledbrook <pe...@cacoethes.co.uk>.
> There's a lot of projects that will be java and security eventually.  No
> reason why jsecurity should take the general name as it's own.  I recommend
> finding another name for it.  For example we could have named Triplesec
> jsecurity but we did not because it would violate this spoken policy.

The name JSecurity has quite a bit of traction already in the Grails
community, so I think there would have to be a very good reason for
such a change. Certainly when I was looking for Java security
frameworks, only Acegi and JSecurity were the only serious candidates,
and Acegi seemed very web-centric, whereas JSecurity is a generic
security infrastructure. It certainly deserves the name in my view :)

Cheers,

Peter

Re: jsecurity status ...

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.