Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mitch Arends <mj...@us.ibm.com> on 2004/07/13 22:33:46 UTC

SVN Commands Freeze on Repository

When I execute svnlook and svnadmin commands against one of my
repositories they sit in an infinite state and never return. I'm not
even able to perform a control break to stop the execution of the command.

I've looked for log and error messages for the commands but have found
nothing. Does anyone have any idea as to what might cause this behavior?
Is there anything I can do besides running the svnadmin commands against
the repository to find out what's wrong with it?

Thanks in advance.

Re: SVN Commands Freeze on Repository

Posted by Mitch Arends <mj...@us.ibm.com>.
John Szakmeister wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 July 2004 14:18, Mitch Arends wrote:
>
>>kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>>>You're positive you're executing 'svnlook' and 'svnadmin' as the same
>>>user/group that owns the repository, right?
>>
>>Yes absolutely positive. I should have also mentioned that I'm running
>>subversion 1.0.4 on and Windows 2000 Server system.
>>
>>The strange thing about the repository is that it's backup copy works
>>fine but the live production version of the repository didn't. There
>>also were no changes that were made b/n backup and the repository
>>becoming wedged so I'm no missing any key data. I just want to know why
>>and how to fix it.
>

> You could try to use the db_recover.  The Windows version of the tools
> should be available at:
> http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=688
>
> You can use 'db_recover -vec -h /path/to/repos/db' to attempt a
> catastrophic recovery.
>
> I do have a couple of questions about how you're accessing the repository.
> What method are you using?  By that I mean file://, svn://, or http://.
> Also, are you using TortioseSVN at all?  The reason I ask is because I've
> seen one instance at work where somebody was using file:// access, and
> Explorer crashed while he was manipulating the repository.  I don't think
> TortoiseSVN caused it, but it did have an ill effect on the repository.
> We've got him setup with svnserve now, which works great, and doesn't
> suffer from this sort of problem. :-)
>
> -John

We're using https:// to access the repository. We are also using only
TortoiseSVN exclusively to access the repository. I will try the
db_recover tool against the repository and let you know what I find out.

Re: SVN Commands Freeze on Repository

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.

Posted by Mitch Arends <mj...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.