Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de> on 2011/08/28 12:51:02 UTC

[VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC1

This is a vote to release Apache Commons Configuration 1.7 based on the
first RC.

Tag:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC1/

Distributions: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc1/

Maven artifacts:
http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc1/maven/

Site: http://people.apache.org/~oheger/configuration-1.7rc1/site/

[ ] +1 release it
[ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
[ ] -1 no, do not release it because...

Vote will remain open for 72 hours.

Oliver

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC1

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Am 28.08.2011 17:31, schrieb Gary Gregory:
> The Javadocs links to the JRE are broken:
>
> [ERROR] Error fetching link:
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/package-list. Ignored it.
>
> The URL to use is:
>
> http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/
>
> Not a blocker, but not pretty either. It makes the Javadoc less convenient.

I also saw this message in the build log, however it does not seem to
affect the Javadocs generated: the links to JDK classes work fine. Also,
there is no specific configuration for Javadocs in the pom. Is this
inherited from the parent pom?

Oliver

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
The Javadocs links to the JRE are broken:

[ERROR] Error fetching link:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/package-list. Ignored it.

The URL to use is:

http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/

Not a blocker, but not pretty either. It makes the Javadoc less convenient.

Gary

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de
> wrote:

> Am 28.08.2011 13:15, schrieb Luc Maisonobe:
>
>  Le 28/08/2011 12:51, Oliver Heger a écrit :
>>
>>> This is a vote to release Apache Commons Configuration 1.7 based on the
>>> first RC.
>>>
>>> Tag:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/**asf/commons/proper/**configuration/tags/**
>>> CONFIGURATION_1_7RC1/<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/configuration/tags/CONFIGURATION_1_7RC1/>
>>>

>>> Distributions: http://people.apache.org/~**oheger/configuration-1.7rc1/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eoheger/configuration-1.7rc1/>
>>>
>>> Maven artifacts:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~**oheger/configuration-1.7rc1/**maven/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eoheger/configuration-1.7rc1/maven/>
>>>
>>> Site: http://people.apache.org/~**oheger/configuration-1.7rc1/**site/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eoheger/configuration-1.7rc1/site/>
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 release it
>>> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
>>> [ ] -1 no, do not release it because...
>>>

>> When running junit tests, there are many exceptions thrown, which
>> appears as [WARN] messages. However, the tests pass. Is this expected
>> behavior ?
>>

> Yes, this is okay, e.g. for tests checking error conditions. You are right
> that the tests are a bit verbose, but I hope that this is not a big issue.
>
> Thanks for checking the RC.
> Oliver
>

>> Luc
>>

>>> Vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> Oliver

Thank you,
Gary

http://garygregory.wordpress.com/
http://garygregory.com/
http://people.apache.org/~ggregory/
http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC1

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

[CANCELED][VOTE] Release Commons Configuration 1.7 based on RC1

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
This vote is canceled as there are some issues related to the build and
the release notes.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Oliver

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Am 28.08.2011 21:44, schrieb Phil Steitz:

[snip]

> I now see how the maven 1.4 profile excludes the classes requiring
> 1.5.  As you suggest, it would be good to add a note on this to the
> release notes.  IIUC what is going on, the classes excluded from
> compilation should also be excluded from the javadoc when built
> under 1.4.  That may happen under the covers anyway, depending on
> how maven prepares the source, but if not, assuming the javadoc
> plugin supports excludes, they should be excluded there are well.

Unfortunately, the classes excluded from the compilation are present in
the Javadocs. I had a look at the configuration options of the
javadoc-plugin, but I did not find a possibility to exclude single
classes; excludes seem to be supported for whole packages only.

Unless I missed something obvious, I am afraid we have to live with this
inconsistency.

Oliver

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 8/28/11 11:53 AM, Oliver Heger wrote:
> Am 28.08.2011 20:08, schrieb Gary Gregory:
>> +1 to removing the ant build.
>>
>> Gary
>
> The ant build files were generated using the maven-ant-plugin. The
> whole stuff looks pretty complicated, and I do not like the way it
> handles dependencies either. To make it work on my local machine I
> also had to slightly modify the generated files because there was
> an issue with the OSGi manifest.
>
> Removing the ant build at all would be the easiest solution. Many
> Commons components still provide an ant build, but there are also
> examples that do not. So I am not sure how to proceed here.
>
> @Phil: Do you now have a working ant build, at least for Java 1.5?

I got it to compile the source and execute tests by removing the
"unless" from the test target.  If we decide to keep it, we should
fix the get-deps stuff.   Personally, I think its good to maintain
working Ant builds.  If you like, I can try to put together a simple
Ant build that runs tests and creates a jar.  If the consensus is to
drop it, that is fine too.  In any case, we should do something
about this.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Am 29.08.2011 08:21, schrieb Phil Steitz:
> On 8/28/11 11:53 AM, Oliver Heger wrote:
>> Am 28.08.2011 20:08, schrieb Gary Gregory:
>>> +1 to removing the ant build.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>
>> The ant build files were generated using the maven-ant-plugin. The
>> whole stuff looks pretty complicated, and I do not like the way it
>> handles dependencies either. To make it work on my local machine I
>> also had to slightly modify the generated files because there was
>> an issue with the OSGi manifest.
>>
>> Removing the ant build at all would be the easiest solution. Many
>> Commons components still provide an ant build, but there are also
>> examples that do not. So I am not sure how to proceed here.
>>
>> @Phil: Do you now have a working ant build, at least for Java 1.5?
>
> I just committed a working build.xml to trunk.  It works for jdk
> 1.4+, skipping the VFS stuff if the jdk is 1.4.  I won't be offended
> if you decide to drop it.  In any case, the maven-build.xml file
> should be removed unless you want to keep the maven-generated ant
> build setup.

That's great, many thanks, Phil! If there is a working build now, I
don't see a reason why we should drop support for ant.

I will remove the generated files later.

Oliver

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1 to removing the ant build.

Gary

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Am 28.08.2011 20:08, schrieb Gary Gregory:
> What about simply bumping the reqs to java 5?
>
> Gary

The maven build works with the Java-1.4 profile; if this profile is
active, some tests related to vfs2 dependencies are excluded.
Unfortunately I did not test the ant build under Java 1.4 :-(

Vfs is not a test dependency, but it is required at runtime only for a
couple of classes. (This is also listed on the dependencies page.)
Because of that I would like to avoid requiring 1.5 in general.

But you are right, the fact that vfs2 requires Java 1.5 affects the
build and should be mentioned explicitly in the release notes and on the
building page. I will change this.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.