Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/22 14:16:39 UTC

Re: Applying LUCENE-1606 -- which version

the patch won't especially help queries like this. maybe they will be
5 or 6 times faster, but still slow.

if you really want to do such queries, consider this: do you really
need * to match an INFINITE amount of characters?!?!

If not, then consider rewriting input queries like this into FINITE
RegExpQuerys, something like .{0,3}poker.* at least, where the first
component can only match at most 3 of any character, before it must be
a p.
you can tweak the 'parameter' 3 until its a reasonable tradeoff
between relevance and performance.

if, on the other hand, you have 100 million rows and feel its
mandatory that * matches an infinite amount of characters in this
case, then I recommend storing your data in a different structure that
will support such queries.

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: Applying LUCENE-1606 -- which version

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
what is a 'contains clause' ??? what is the use case behind it, and
why can't poker be tokenized from the text so they just type 'poker'
with no wildcards?

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

RE: Applying LUCENE-1606 -- which version

Posted by Sriram Muthuswamy Chittathoor <sr...@ivycomptech.com>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sriram Muthuswamy Chittathoor <sr...@ivycomptech.com>.