Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anthony Martin <An...@TRAMS.com> on 2002/05/08 22:17:00 UTC

Followed jndi-howto but no go

I'm trying to understand JNDI in relation to Tomcat 4.0.4.  I read the
how-to on Jakarta
<http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html>,
but I must have missed some other pre-requisite.

Specifically, I went to section called "Generic JavaBean Resources" in the
how-to and followed the steps.  I created a JavaBean class called MyBean.
Then I declared my Resource Requirement in web.xml.  Then, I coded my
application.  Last, I configured Tomcat's Resource Factory.

When I tried it, I got the following stack trace (partial shown):

javax.servlet.ServletException: Need to specify class name in environment or
system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource
file:  java.naming.factory.initial
	at
l.java:463)
	at org.apache.jsp.Jsp1$jsp._jspService(Jsp1$jsp.java:73)
	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:107)
	.
	.
	.

Any suggestions?

Anthony

"Look, here is the man who would not make God his protector!  He trusted in
his great wealth and was confident about his plans to destroy others." -
Psalms 52:7

Re: Followed jndi-howto but no go

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 8 May 2002, Anthony Martin wrote:

> Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 13:17:00 -0700
> From: Anthony Martin <An...@TRAMS.com>
> To: "'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Followed jndi-howto but no go
>
> I'm trying to understand JNDI in relation to Tomcat 4.0.4.  I read the
> how-to on Jakarta
> <http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html>,
> but I must have missed some other pre-requisite.
>
> Specifically, I went to section called "Generic JavaBean Resources" in the
> how-to and followed the steps.  I created a JavaBean class called MyBean.
> Then I declared my Resource Requirement in web.xml.  Then, I coded my
> application.  Last, I configured Tomcat's Resource Factory.
>
> When I tried it, I got the following stack trace (partial shown):
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Need to specify class name in environment or
> system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource
> file:  java.naming.factory.initial
> 	at
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImp
> l.java:463)
> 	at org.apache.jsp.Jsp1$jsp._jspService(Jsp1$jsp.java:73)
> 	at
> org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:107)
> 	.
> 	.
> 	.
>
> Any suggestions?

It would be helpful if you could post the JavaBean class you created, the
JSP page you are trying this from, and the server.xml and web.xml settings
you actually used (or send them to me privately).  Is that possible?

> Anthony

Craig