Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by caston first <ca...@yahoo.com> on 2007/09/30 14:40:00 UTC

DevGuide: glitch in generation?

I am reading the HTML PAGES dev guide, and every time
there is a reference to an actual code item in-line
with text (in Courier font), it is an obfuscated
(meaningless) word, viz.:

This base text (as a result of a copy operation):

The standard way to obtain a Connection object is to
call the method DriverManager.getConnection, which
takes a String

appears in Safari (Mac OS X, 10.4.10) as in the
attached image.  In fact, I didn't know the text would
paste correctly when I started this note!  Hmmm...

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/

Re: DevGuide: glitch in generation?

Posted by Dy...@Sun.COM.
caston first <ca...@yahoo.com> writes:

> I am reading the HTML PAGES dev guide, and every time
> there is a reference to an actual code item in-line
> with text (in Courier font), it is an obfuscated
> (meaningless) word, viz.:
>
> This base text (as a result of a copy operation):
>
> The standard way to obtain a Connection object is to
> call the method DriverManager.getConnection, which
> takes a String
>
> appears in Safari (Mac OS X, 10.4.10) as in the
> attached image.  In fact, I didn't know the text would
> paste correctly when I started this note!  Hmmm...

That does indeed look strange. As far as I know it looks fine in
Firefox under both Solaris and Windows, as well as in IE. If the html
source looks OK, doesn't that point to a Safari problem?

--
dt

Re: DevGuide: glitch in generation?

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> Thomas Kellerer <sp...@gmx.net> writes:
>
> [snip]
>

>> But I have noticed that the reference to the css in the header is incorrect:
>>
>> <link
>> href="/export/home/rh161140/derby/docs/10.3/out/devguidetemp/commonltr.css"
>> type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
>>
>> this is taken from the 10.3 distribution archive.
>>

> I'm no DITA or HTML guru, but that doesn't seem right. I'm pretty sure
> that's a left-over from the environment where Rick (Hillegas) built
> the documentation for the 10.3 release...
>
> Hmm, I thought Myrna Van Lunteren was the release manager for the
> 10.3 release... strange. I'll let them comment when they see this.
>

>> As no css files are part of the distribution, the reference does not
>> make sense (a relative path would make sense if the css files were
>> included in the archive).
>>
>> But maybe on your computere the referenced .css file does indeed exist
>> and defines a font which causes the garbled output.
>>

> Seems a bit unlikely, but you never know I guess... :)

Thanks for finding what looks like a bug in our process for building
documentation. Bryan has transferred this conversation to derby-dev
under the subject name "Bad CSS link in generated 10.3 documentation".
For more information on this issue, please follow the derby-dev
conversation.

Thanks,
-Rick

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sp...@gmx.net>.
caston first, 30.09.2007 14:40:
> I am reading the HTML PAGES dev guide, and every time
> there is a reference to an actual code item in-line
> with text (in Courier font), it is an obfuscated
> (meaningless) word, viz.:
>
> This base text (as a result of a copy operation):
>
> The standard way to obtain a Connection object is to
> call the method DriverManager.getConnection, which
> takes a String
>
> appears in Safari (Mac OS X, 10.4.10) as in the
> attached image.  In fact, I didn't know the text would
> paste correctly when I started this note!  Hmmm...

The HTML coce seems to be correct:

is to call the method <samp

But I have noticed that the reference to the css in the header is incorrect:

<link
href="/export/home/rh161140/derby/docs/10.3/out/devguidetemp/commonltr.css"
type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

this is taken from the 10.3 distribution archive.

As no css files are part of the distribution, the reference does not
make sense (a relative path would make sense if the css files were
included in the archive).

But maybe on your computere the referenced .css file does indeed exist
and defines a font which causes the garbled output.

Thomas