Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Chaffee <gu...@stinky.com> on 2002/02/02 04:08:59 UTC

[FAQ] jGuru FAQ Update

jGuru maintains FAQs and Forums on Servlets, JSP, and Tomcat (as well as
many other Java topics).  Here is an automated update on recent postings to
Tomcat-related FAQs.  Please direct flames and feedback to alex@jguru.com .

 - Alex

++ JavaServer Pages (JSP) FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JSP

I have several jsp pages that are referenced in an SSL server, and non-SSL server. To avoid the "this document contains some unencrypted data" error, I want to have it look at the HTTPS variable apache sets and see if its in secure mode.
img src="https://content.domain/images/foo.jpg" <br>   else I want to write:<br> img src="http://content.domain/images/foo.jpg

How do I do this?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=741813

How can I make a JSP page implement the SingleThreadedModel interface?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=741113

Using JSP I can use implicit object <tt>exception</tt> when my JSP page is declared with &lt;%@ page isErrorPage="true" %&gt; directive. But how to get this reference programmatically, for example with a servlet ?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=740991

	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=740988

I want to ship my JSP-based application to my customers by bundling it with Tomcat.
Is Jakarta Tomcat 4.0 freeware?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=740986

If we declare a variable, say int i=3 in jsp file, then in what method does this variable reside? Is it within service() or the init() method? If this resides in service(), how can I make to be in init() and vice versa?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=739377

I want to create a Error Page and  save the StackTrace within a String type variable.<br>
My code is:<p>

&lt;!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"&gt;<br>
&lt;%@ page import="java.lang.Exception,java.io.*"%&gt;<br>
&lt;%@ page isErrorPage="true" %&gt;<br>
&lt;html&gt;<br>
&lt;head&gt;<br>
	&lt;title&gt;Untitled&lt;/title&gt;<br>
&lt;/head&gt;<br>
&lt;body&gt;<br>
Fehler!!!!<p>
Stack: &lt;% exception.printStackTrace(writer);%&gt;

&lt;/body&gt;<br>
&lt;/html&gt;<p>

But here, the StackTrace is printed directly within the Page. How do I save it in a String variable? I want to send myself an automatic report if there is any error.<p>
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=739375

	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=739372

I need to allow users to upload files and pictures.
When they upload pictures, I need to create thumbnail for them on the fly.
Is there any taglibs or java source to do this from JSP or servlets?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=735673

I need to allow users to upload files and pictures.
When they upload pictures, I need to create thumbnail for them on the fly.
Is there any taglibs or java source to do this from JSP or servlets?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=735672

My Jsp file need to forward a request to another servlet which is located in another Web Application on another machine. How can I do that? If I also want to add more parameters to the original request from the jsp file, what should I do?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=735653

++ Servlets FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/Servlets

Using JSP I can use implicit object <tt>exception</tt> when my JSP page is declared with &lt;%@ page isErrorPage="true" %&gt; directive. But how to get this reference programmatically, for example with a servlet ?
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=740991

Why do I get the error
<b>org.xml.sax.SAXParseException : Element type "web-app" must be declared</b>
when starting my web application? It has a <tt>web-app</tt> element already!
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=740497

How can I prevent the expiration of a Session?<br>
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=738277

++ Tomcat FAQ: http://www.jguru.com/faq/Tomcat

Why do I get the error
<b>org.xml.sax.SAXParseException : Element type "web-app" must be declared</b>
when starting my web application? It has a <tt>web-app</tt> element already!
	http://www.jguru.com/misc/faqtrampoline.jsp?src=notify&EID=740497

You can shut email notification off at the FAQ home
page(s) or:

  http://www.jguru.com/guru/notifyprefs.jsp