Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Martin C." <ma...@gmx.at> on 2001/07/25 13:31:45 UTC

Bouncing message text

Hi!

I started playing around with James today and find the concept of
mailets very interesting and appealing, so I'd really apreaciated if you
could help me on this litte problem of mine:

Whenever I try to send a mail to a nonexistent account, James
nevertheless accepts the RCPT TO statement (unlike sendmail). I'm not
really happy about that but I could live with that. (Or did I miss
something in the config-file?)

As far as I understood James handels the unknown user as an error. I
configured James to send a notify about the error back to the sender.

So, to finally come to my question: Is there a way to alter the text of
the bounce message from "We were unable to deliver the attached message
because of an error in the mail server." to anything different?

Thanks in advance,

   Martin

Re: Bouncing message text

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Right now you can't, although that's a good point.  The problem is, that
bounced message can have a lot of dynamic information in it, so it's kind of
complicated to just use a resource file to define text.  It would be nice to
address this though since it would help support multiple languages as well.

I also made the bounced messages much more informative in the current
version of CVS.  You might want to check on this as admittedly the 1.2
release had very poor messages (with not nearly enough information).

Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies
http://www.lokitech.com/