Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/07/13 16:29:02 UTC

Ant on JDK 1.5

There are some interesting errors given here:

http://brutus.apache.org/gump/jdk15/ant/bootstrap-ant/gump_work/buildscript_ant_bootstrap-ant.html

Ought we be publishing these to the Ant dev community?

regards,

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise

Re: Ant on JDK 1.5

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Questions; Will Gump use JDK1.5 by default later?  Will it be possible
> to tell Gump which version of the JDK to use for the build?
>

> Things are getting increasingly complicated.
> Avalon doesn't build with 1.5 (not yet anyway).
> Avalon requires 1.3, and other projects 'promises' JDK 1.1, but Gump
> doesn't validate that (I guess).
>
> There are bytecode issues between compiler generations starting to
> come into the picture as well.
>
> Any thoughts about all of this?

I have one thought for all: Because of the complexity, we ought use the
power of Brutus to use a brute force solution (pun intended), i.e. a few
Gump instances ... one for each of the important JDK releases. I think one
flavour of 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 is reasonable (but we've seen we have to be
1.4.2.whatever for that one).

We could try to get complicated and teach Gump different compilers, but I
think we'd get in an ugly pickle. That said, just like folks preferring a
given release of a dependency, we could work up to growing to that.

regards,

Adam

Re: Ant on JDK 1.5

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> There are some interesting errors given here:
>
> http://brutus.apache.org/gump/jdk15/ant/bootstrap-ant/gump_work/buildscript_ant_bootstrap-ant.html
>
> Ought we be publishing these to the Ant dev community?

Questions; Will Gump use JDK1.5 by default later?  Will it be possible
to tell Gump which version of the JDK to use for the build?

Things are getting increasingly complicated.
Avalon doesn't build with 1.5 (not yet anyway).
Avalon requires 1.3, and other projects 'promises' JDK 1.1, but Gump
doesn't validate that (I guess).

There are bytecode issues between compiler generations starting to
come into the picture as well.

Any thoughts about all of this?

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Ant on JDK 1.5

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:

> There are some interesting errors given here:

Hmm, looks like an encoding issue on first glance, all the other
things are just warnings (and should go away in the "normal" Ant run
since we pass a proper -source argument here).

The problem is that Sun decided to change the defaults of -source and
-target between JDKs and we can't pass the argument to javac at all in
the bootstrap script unless we create separate bootstrap scripts for
JDK 1.2 (which doesn't know the arguments at all).

> Ought we be publishing these to the Ant dev community?

Won't hurt 8-)

Stefan