Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Veit Guna <ve...@gmx.de> on 2011/12/15 08:58:55 UTC

problem with spaces in path

Hi guys.

We're using Apache James 2.3.0 in a project that calls EJBs from a
Mailet. Until now we installed
it under linux with a fixed, non-space-containing path. So far no problems.

Now, we support Windows as well and the user should be able to choose
the installation directory.
So we installed to e.g. c:\Program Files\James. When we call an EJB on
JBoss (5.1.0), that fails with a MalformedURL
Exception. We looked deeper into the problem and found out, that the
classpath that is generated by
James/Phoenix (e.g. pointing to SAR-INF/classes, james-54355354/lib)
contains unescaped spaces that
will kill the jndi ctx.lookup. It looks like that the phoenix
classloader magic won't escape spaces properly.
Is there anything we can do to fix this? Workaround I'll try to do is:
get the current classloader, fix the urls
and replace it with a fixed version during runtime. But that is ugly.

We start James with the tanuki wrapper from a windows service. So
run.bat or similar is not an option. Also
to put James in a non-space-containing path is not an option.

Thanks for your help.

Veit

Re: problem with spaces in path

Posted by Veit Guna <ve...@gmx.de>.
Hi Stefano.

Yep, saw that already and applied it to my build. But thanks for the tip!

Veit

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
On 15/12/11 21:36, Veit Guna wrote:
> Hi Eric.
>
> Jep, read about it. Maybe interesting for a 2.3.3 version as long as 3.0
> is still beta :)?

Can you open a jira with the patch? (not sure we will be able to push a
new release for James 2 with this)

> Did I read correctly that 3.0 is using spring as a replacement for avalon?

Yes, we use spring to run james 3.
I have a todo to also run with guice.

Eric http://about.echarles.net

Re: problem with spaces in path

Posted by Veit Guna <ve...@gmx.de>.
Done.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-1354

Regards
Veit

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Veit Guna <ve...@gmx.de>.
Hi Eric.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Veit,

Thx for the Avalon patch :)

James 2.3 uses the Avalon framework and can't commit those changes.
Also, Avalon is now retired, and it may be difficult to get your patch
committed.

This is why James 3.0 is no more based on Avalon.

Thx,

Eric

On 15/12/11 17:00, Veit Guna wrote:
> Hi, me again.
>
> Phew. That was a long day digging into James, Avalon and Phoenix :(.
> First tried to use my
> own ClassLoader, without luck. After half of the day, I decided to get
> to the root cause of
> the problem - not just trying to work around it.
>
> Please find attached the patch for the version I found in the README:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avalon/cvs-migration-snapshot/avalon-phoenix/
>
> It fixes the File-to-URL handling in the phoenix Classloader classes.
> Maybe someone
> with more internal knowledge can validate this. It works for me though.
> Spaces
> are now supported.
>
> Veit
>

> Am 15.12.2011 08:58, schrieb Veit Guna:
>> Hi guys.
>>
>> We're using Apache James 2.3.0 in a project that calls EJBs from a
>> Mailet. Until now we installed
>> it under linux with a fixed, non-space-containing path. So far no problems.
>>
>> Now, we support Windows as well and the user should be able to choose
>> the installation directory.
>> So we installed to e.g. c:\Program Files\James. When we call an EJB on
>> JBoss (5.1.0), that fails with a MalformedURL
>> Exception. We looked deeper into the problem and found out, that the
>> classpath that is generated by
>> James/Phoenix (e.g. pointing to SAR-INF/classes, james-54355354/lib)
>> contains unescaped spaces that
>> will kill the jndi ctx.lookup. It looks like that the phoenix
>> classloader magic won't escape spaces properly.
>> Is there anything we can do to fix this? Workaround I'll try to do is:
>> get the current classloader, fix the urls
>> and replace it with a fixed version during runtime. But that is ugly.
>>
>> We start James with the tanuki wrapper from a windows service. So
>> run.bat or similar is not an option. Also
>> to put James in a non-space-containing path is not an option.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Veit

Eric
http://about.echarles.net