Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Jonathan Coveney <jc...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/15 00:06:19 UTC

Error during parsing. could not instantiate 'squeal.map.makecountalgq' with arguments 'null'

I did a search online, and while someone had the same error, I don't think
it was related. From the error log, I see this...

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Final function of
squeal.map.makecountalgq is not of the expected type.
        at org.apache.pig.EvalFunc.<init>(EvalFunc.java:146)
        at squeal.map.makecountalgq.<init>(makecountalgq.java:32)
Method)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.pig.impl.PigContext.instantiateFuncFromSpec(PigContext.java:472)

But here is my udf (I've truncated a bit, but it works if it isn't
algebraic)

public class makecountalgq extends EvalFunc<Map<String,Integer>> implements
Algebraic, Accumulator<Map<String,Integer>> {
        static TupleFactory mTupleFactory = TupleFactory.getInstance();
        static BagFactory mBagFactory = BagFactory.getInstance();
        private MapWrapper ourWrap = new MapWrapper();

        public String getInitial() { return Initial.class.getName(); }

        public String getIntermed() { return Intermed.class.getName(); }

        public String getFinal() { return Final.class.getName(); }

        //An initial tuple, crates partial results
        public static class Initial extends EvalFunc<Tuple> {
                public Tuple exec(Tuple input) throws IOException {
                        MapWrapper aWrap = new MapWrapper(new
HashMap<String,MutableInt>());
                        DataBag bag = (DataBag)input.get(0);
                        aWrap.addSBag(bag);
                        return mTupleFactory.newTuple(aWrap);
                }
        }
        //Called on the result of the Initial, or on another intermediate
        public static class Intermed extends EvalFunc<Tuple> {
                public Tuple exec(Tuple input) throws IOException {
                        return
mTupleFactory.newTuple(mergeWrappers((DataBag)input.get(0)));
                }
        }
        //Can take the tuple that initial or intermed creates
        public static class Final extends EvalFunc<Map<String,Integer>> {
                public Map<String,Integer> exec(Tuple input) throws
IOException {
                        return
mergeWrappers((DataBag)input.get(0)).convertMap();
                }
        }

        //takes a bag of MapWrappers and merges them
        public static MapWrapper mergeWrappers(DataBag bag) throws
IOException {
                Iterator<Tuple> bagIt = bag.iterator();
                MapWrapper aWrap = (MapWrapper)bagIt.next().get(0);
                while (bagIt.hasNext())
                        aWrap.merge((MapWrapper)bagIt.next().get(0));
                return aWrap;
        }
}

Any idea why I would get this error? It compiles fine, and if I even just
take out Algebraic, I can use the UDF (it just uses the accumulator). I
don't see how the type is off...

Any ideas? (in case the context matters: this is a script that takes a list
of (a, b:chararray), and gives you, for a given key, a map from b-># of
times b occured.

Here is how I invoke it:

register squeal.jar;
A = LOAD 'test.txt' AS (a:chararray, b:chararray);
B = GROUP A BY a;
C = FOREACH B GENERATE group, squeal.map.makecountalgq(A.b) as mapz;

And I get the error.

Thanks in advance. I guess I could content myself with an Accumulator but
the Algebraic solution is so close... a MapWrapper is a class I created that
lets me pass around Maps and whatnot.

Re: Error during parsing. could not instantiate 'squeal.map.makecountalgq' with arguments 'null'

Posted by Jonathan Coveney <jc...@gmail.com>.
Hmm, in that case it allows me to run it, but dies and gives me this error
(from log)

Pig Stack Trace
---------------
ERROR 1066: Unable to open iterator for alias C

org.apache.pig.impl.logicalLayer.FrontendException: ERROR 1066: Unable to
open iterator for alias C
        at org.apache.pig.PigServer.openIterator(PigServer.java:754)
        at
org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.processDump(GruntParser.java:612)
        at
org.apache.pig.tools.pigscript.parser.PigScriptParser.parse(PigScriptParser.java:303)
        at
org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.parseStopOnError(GruntParser.java:165)
        at
org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.GruntParser.parseStopOnError(GruntParser.java:141)
        at org.apache.pig.tools.grunt.Grunt.run(Grunt.java:76)
        at org.apache.pig.Main.run(Main.java:465)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Job terminated with anomalous status FAILED
        at org.apache.pig.PigServer.openIterator(PigServer.java:744)
        ... 7 more

and here is what grunt gave

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected data type -1 found in stream.
        at
org.apache.pig.data.BinInterSedes.writeDatum(BinInterSedes.java:478)
        at
org.apache.pig.data.BinInterSedes.writeTuple(BinInterSedes.java:541)
        at
org.apache.pig.data.BinInterSedes.writeDatum(BinInterSedes.java:357)
        at
org.apache.pig.data.BinInterSedes.writeTuple(BinInterSedes.java:541)
        at
org.apache.pig.data.BinInterSedes.writeDatum(BinInterSedes.java:357)
        at org.apache.pig.data.BinSedesTuple.write(BinSedesTuple.java:57)
        at
org.apache.pig.impl.io.PigNullableWritable.write(PigNullableWritable.java:123)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.io.serializer.WritableSerialization$WritableSerializer.serialize(WritableSerialization.java:90)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.io.serializer.WritableSerialization$WritableSerializer.serialize(WritableSerialization.java:77)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask$MapOutputBuffer.collect(MapTask.java:900)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask$NewOutputCollector.write(MapTask.java:541)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.TaskInputOutputContext.write(TaskInputOutputContext.java:80)
        at
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.mapReduceLayer.PigMapReduce$Map.collect(PigMapReduce.java:116)
        at
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.mapReduceLayer.PigMapBase.runPipeline(PigMapBase.java:238)
        at
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.mapReduceLayer.PigMapBase.map(PigMapBase.java:231)
        at
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.mapReduceLayer.PigMapBase.map(PigMapBase.java:53)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask.runNewMapper(MapTask.java:621)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.LocalJobRunner$Job.run(LocalJobRunner.java:177)

not sure what this -1 business is...

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.