Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/04/17 22:00:46 UTC

DTD updates (was Re: [vote] Diana Shannon as Documentation Coordinator)

From: "Steven Noels" <st...@outerthought.org>

> Nicola wrote:
>
> > > Does anyone has strong feelings on the title-attribute for
> > > section elements?
>
> > - attributes take up less space that tags, so are preferred
> > (sizewise) with
> > short and frequent infos

<section title="foo">

21 bytes

<section>
  <title>foo</title>
<section>

 36 bytes

The difference in percentage gets lower if "foo" is a large string.
The difference in percentage gets higher if  the title is usef frequently.

> > - that tags are bettar at keeping data while tags at metadata.
> > - the DTD you usually use is better than the new one ;-)
> > - usual dire straits user: "I want my DTD!" ;-)
>
> OK, seems like: don't fix what isn't broken (yet ;-)

That's why I kept the book.xml: we have to help projects use the new DTD.
The more we change, the more difficult acceptance will be and the more
difficult is our job in transforming old DTD docs to the new one.

For example, the Avalon guys are interested in Forrest but they want to keep
1.0 DTD for now.
I'm confident that they will change over time, but we need to support them
in the time being.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -