Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Raphaël Luta <ra...@networks.groupvu.com> on 2001/04/11 23:04:33 UTC

[ApacheCon] Quick report

Now that I'm finally back in my own timezone and could catch up with all
my
outstanding tasks, here's a small report of ApacheCon Jetspeed-related
news.

As in London, it's been a great pleasure to finally meet some of the
people
of these mailing-lists, and I'm certainly looking forward meeting new
faces
in Dublin for next ApacheCon. For those of you that could not make it to
the conference, I'll put a pictures I've taken their on a website this
week-end.

About Jetspeed proper, we mainly discussed on the different activities
going
on right now (new layout, portlet API, etc...) on worked on a revised
release
schedule based on the current development status.

Our conclusions can be summarized like this:

- we feel that it's necessary to quickly produce a new alpha release of
Jetspeed
  in order to include all the fixes that went into the codebase since
January.
  Our current tentative date for this schedule is 30 April. This release
will
  mainly be a maintenance/bug-fix release without any major new feature
apart
  from what is currently available in CVS.
  I'll detail the release plan for alpha 2 in a separate mail on the
jetspeed-dev
  list.

- We currently anticipate that the major new components like the new
aggregation
  engine and portlet API will land in the main CVS head somewhere in
May.
  If everything goes extremely well, it may be possible to release a new
alpha
  integrating the changes before JavaOne, but it's quite unlikely. The
current
  target date for the first public release of the new components is
currently end
  of June.

- I've been asked by several people (at the Con or by mail) where it's
currently
  possible to contribute to the project while the very heart of Jetspeed
is being
  rewritten. I'll post on both lists this week a quick run-down of who's
working
  on what (at least as far as I know) and what other tasks may be
carried out
  by new voluntary people.

For those of you that asked about my presentation slides, I'll convert
them to
HTML and post the results on a web site, but I fear the slides are a
little too
terse without the accompanying explanations and demos.

--
Raphaël Luta - luta.raphael@networks.vivendi.net