Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2013/10/14 00:11:00 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Move Apache Commons to Git for SCM... - is not a consensus

Actually, if you read Roy's post from a few days ago on Incubator General you will find that consensus is != to majority or unanimity.  See http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201310.mbox/ajax/%3CC2FDB244-459D-4EC4-954A-7A7F6C4B179B%40gbiv.com%3E from which I quote below:

"Consensus is that everyone who shares an opinion agrees to a common resolution (even if they do not personally prefer that resolution).
Unanimity means that everyone present agrees (for a PMC discussing things in email, that means everyone listed on the roster must affirmatively agree).

Hence, consensus decisions can be vetoed, as is clearly stated in the HTTP Server Project Guidelines, unless the project has decided to adopt some other set of bylaws."
As I understand this, consensus means that a majority must vote and there must not be any -1 votes among those who voted.  Unanimity means everyone must vote and no one must vote -1. Of course, majority means there must be at least three +1 votes and more +1s than -1s.

Notice that http://httpd.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html specifically says "An action item requiring consensus approval must receive at least 3 binding +1 votes and no vetoes.",  However, I don't see any guidance on the httpd page that would indicate whether this vote requires a consensus or a majority. One could certainly argue that deciding to move from svn to git is "procedural" and thus only requires a majority, however I tend to believe that consensus would be what would be preferred for this vote.

Ralph

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
James,

You succeeded in creating a second thread.

It is the first thread that had a reverted subject line.  Ironically, it
was one of your posts that reverted the subject line ... likely related to
the confusion you had in the first place with gmail.

Check the archives.  They show the subject lines.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 12:07 AM, James Carman

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
OK - sorry for misunderstanding you. It appears we are in agreement and my use of "majority" in that sentence is incorrect.  The wording I quoted from the httpd page is much clearer (at least 3 +1 votes and no vetoes).

Ralph

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Ralph,

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 10/13/13 3:51 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:
> Ralph,
>
> Majority votes at ASF almost never require a majority of all possible
> voters.  Almost always the (plus > 3 && plus > minus) convention is used.
>
> As you can find in innumerable threads as well, consensus among the
> discussion participants is preferable for big changes (like moving to git).
>  Consensus does not depend on the potential number of voters.
>
> In fact, virtually nothing depends on a quorum at ASF other than member
> votes.
>
> That said, this vote may well a small victory that causes a larger problem.
>  The hard question here is whether it is better to pause here in order to
> make faster progress.  Phil's point is a bit out of order ... if he had
> responded to the request for votes with his statement that the vote was
> premature, it would have been much better.  To wait until after the vote
> has been lost and then claim that more discussion is needed is a bit of a
> problem, at least from the point of view of appearance.
>
> One very confusing procedural point is that half-way through the vote, the
> subject line reverted to [DISCUSS] rather than [VOTE].
>
> See
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201310.mbox/%3CCALznzY4v1bPGrMotJkmSN8wp9hSjs8mMjSj89wfzBEgimhtxrw%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> This is the point that Phil first commented.
>
> On the other hand, Phil also commented on the thread with the [VOTE]
> subject a number of times:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201310.mbox/%3CA9D202A4-6E76-42D8-9606-1E40D69162C7@gmail.com%3E
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201310.mbox/%3C08688247-B00E-44C7-8B21-F107921B49D1@gmail.com%3E
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201310.mbox/%3C5256FF12.3070806@gmail.com%3E
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201310.mbox/%3C110B24A9-DD67-436D-9E2D-E29521693809@gmail.com%3E
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201310.mbox/%3C110B24A9-DD67-436D-9E2D-E29521693809@gmail.com%3E
>
> In none of these did he say that the vote was premature.

Get real, Ted.  The thread had diverged into general discussion.  I
did not see it as a serious VOTE at that point and I stand by my
statements that any assertion that it established "consensus" is
incorrect.

Phil

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Ralph,