Posted to dev@crunch.apache.org by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> on 2012/07/10 20:36:52 UTC

Build system tasks

Hi,

after the unpleasant code relocation work of CRUNCH-8 is out of the
way there are a few other things that could be done.

 * Fix dependency versions to make sure they match the runtime classpath
 * Separate unit tests from (slow) integration tests
 * Craft a checkstyle config (a rather unpleasant task)
 * Set up a Maven site for documentation
 * Add project reports unless you've got a Sonar instance somewhere

What do you think?

If that's ok with you I'll open JIRA issues for those that you're
interested in.

Regards,
  Matthias

Re: Build system tasks

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.
Hi Josh,

see below.

On Tuesday, 2012-07-10, Josh Wills wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> wrote:

[...]
>> * Craft a checkstyle config (a rather unpleasant task)

> Indeed-- can we steal one from somewhere? I liked Tom W's suggestion that
> we run it as part of the package building process.

Usually I take "Sun Checks (Eclipse)" that comes with the Eclipse
Checkstyle plugin and tweak a few things (line length, no tabs, etc.).
Unfortunately, I have no idea what the license is.

Perhaps we could borrow the one from Whirr if that matches the coding
style you like and remove checks until the number of warnings is
manageable. As soon as all warnings are fixed, we can add more checks
until everything is perfect [tm].

Regards,
  Matthias

Re: Build system tasks

Posted by Josh Wills <jw...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Matthias,

Replies inlined.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after the unpleasant code relocation work of CRUNCH-8 is out of the
> way there are a few other things that could be done.
>
>  * Fix dependency versions to make sure they match the runtime classpath
>  * Separate unit tests from (slow) integration tests

+1 for both of these-- let's create JIRAs.

>  * Craft a checkstyle config (a rather unpleasant task)

Indeed-- can we steal one from somewhere? I liked Tom W's suggestion that
we run it as part of the package building process.

>  * Set up a Maven site for documentation
>  * Add project reports unless you've got a Sonar instance somewhere

> What do you think?

+1 to the last two.

--
Director of Data Science