Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by lejeczek <pe...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2016/03/09 12:05:18 UTC

repositories structure from user/access control viewpoint - how?

hi everybody,

I realize this certainly is somewhere in books but I'm
hoping few experts would not mind sharing their
thoughts/recommendations on how to...

set up svn structure where interface to it is only http and
flexibility + ability to finely grain user access is the key
objective - thus pretty much ubiquity I guess.

What boggles me is - should there be one http service for
each project? or it does not matter and one http service
serves all this:
/projectA/{trunk,branches,tags}
/prjectB/{trunk,branches,tags}
etc.
still assures finely grained access to each project?
And also performance, is there a best practice to assure
performance?
I should mention, in case it matters, that I user PAM backed
to Apaches as auth service.

many thanks

Re: AW: repositories structure from user/access control viewpoint - how?

Posted by lejeczek <pe...@yahoo.co.uk>.

On 09/03/16 16:44, Niemann, Hartmut wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I learned that finer-as-per-repository-grained read access is rather "expensive" in terms of server load
> because rights have to be checked for each file updated.
> So it would be best that you have separate repositories for separate "read" user groups.
Hi,
that is interesting concept but one that I don't  quite get
- you would have different locations/namespaces pointing to
the same target?
And these namespaces would define different type of access
per whole groups?

> I have not heared about somebody who used separate HTTP servers for that, I doubt that it would help.
I see I might have been a bit vague when said - service.
What I meant was, would one use separate namespace, eg:
   <Location /dev.myproject.foo>
     DirectoryIndex disabled
     DAV svn
     ForceType text/plain
     SVNReposName ......
for each project if the reason was - this helps finer access
control. Or it does not and one namespace for all
locations/projects does the same?
many thanks