Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Brian Relph <re...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/03 20:12:02 UTC

ognl exceptions

When i turn logging up to debug, i get TONS of the same stack trace when
using my struts2 app ...

Can i get rid of these somehow?

[1/3/08 13:08:13:106 CST] 0000004c SystemOut     O [WebContainer : 1] DEBUG
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.InstantiatingNullHandler - Entering
nullPropertyValue [target=[
org.apache.struts2.portlet.dispatcher.DirectRenderFromEventAction@4dfe4dfe,
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultTextProvider@108a108a,
com.cerner.healthe.admin.portlet.action.AccountResendAction@53765376,
com.opensymphony.xwork2.DefaultTextProvider@108a108a], property=struts]
[1/3/08 13:08:13:106 CST] 0000004c SystemOut     O [WebContainer : 1] DEBUG
com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.OgnlValueStack - Error setting value
ognl.OgnlException: source is null for getProperty(null, "portlet")
 at ognl.OgnlRuntime.getProperty(OgnlRuntime.java:1638)

Thanks,

Brian

Re: ognl exceptions

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
Dave Newton wrote:
> --- Brian Relph <re...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Although this would work for me personally during development, i am not the
>> first line of tech support... So when something breaks, and tech support
>> turns logging up to debug, i would like them not to have a bunch of extra
>> exceptions in their logs.  As well, i do not expect them to have any
>> knowledge of my technologies, so for them to turn down the logging on stuff
>> to ignore, would result in them asking me what they should ignore, as well
>> as them asking me how to ignore it.  So, can i bypass this whole thing, and
>> fix these exceptions before i release?
>
> They're DEBUG-level exceptions, i.e., not critical to normal operations, but
> during DEBUGging may be useful. Short answer, no.

Less short answer: ship with a logging configuration that specifies what
to ignore so that when tech support turns up the logging, they don't see
whatever you don't want them to. You can't change what's sent to the
logging system (short of modifying the Xwork/Struts code at least), but
you can pre-configure the logging however you want.

L.

Re: ognl exceptions

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Brian Relph <re...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Although this would work for me personally during development, i am not the
> first line of tech support... So when something breaks, and tech support
> turns logging up to debug, i would like them not to have a bunch of extra
> exceptions in their logs.  As well, i do not expect them to have any
> knowledge of my technologies, so for them to turn down the logging on stuff
> to ignore, would result in them asking me what they should ignore, as well
> as them asking me how to ignore it.  So, can i bypass this whole thing, and
> fix these exceptions before i release?

They're DEBUG-level exceptions, i.e., not critical to normal operations, but
during DEBUGging may be useful. Short answer, no.

d.

Re: ognl exceptions

Posted by Brian Relph <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: ognl exceptions