Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com> on 2012/07/02 21:48:33 UTC

site-to-site VPN review

I took another look at the FS
http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/DesignDocs/Site-to-site+VPN+functional+spec
And the test suite
http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/QA/Site-to-Site+VPN

 1.  It isn't clear if we are going to use pre-shared keys (PSK) or public-key (RSA keys)
    *   If PSK, who generates this and what is the strength of this key?
    *   Can this PSK be changed / revoked ?
 2.  Why is this restricted to admin only?
 3.  Does this require "conserve mode = true" ?
 4.  Is NAT traversal supported?
 5.  FS and test suite in my mind should cover FCAPS (faults, configuration, administration, performance, security)
    *   How do you deal with faults? What happens when the VR is restarted? What happens if VR gets disconnected from the remote end?
    *   The API parameters and responses need to be more completely documented.
    *   If a user complains that his s-2-s VPN is not working / used to work but does not now, how can customer support diagnose this problem?
    *   How well does this perform: what is the target throughput and what is the size (RAM/CPU) needed to achieve this performance?
       *   Is there a need for a later kernel on the VR for AES support?
    *   How secure is this implementation? Can the PSK be guessed? Are the latest security patches for OpenSwan available in the VR?

Re: site-to-site VPN review

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Chiradeep Vittal
<Ch...@citrix.com> wrote:

> On 7/2/12 2:33 PM, "Sheng Yang" <sh...@yasker.org> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, July 02, 2012 12:48:33 PM Chiradeep Vittal wrote:
>>> I took another look at the FS
>>>
>>>http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/DesignDocs/Site-to-site+VPN+functional
>>>+sp
>>> ec And the test suite
>>> http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/QA/Site-to-Site+VPN
>>>

>>>  1.  It isn't clear if we are going to use pre-shared keys (PSK) or
>>> public-key (RSA keys) *   If PSK, who generates this and what is the
>>> strength of this key? *   Can this PSK be changed / revoked ?
>>
>>We're using PSK. Currently user generate the psk key and program it on the
>>both side of VPN. Update the spec.
>
> The Remote Access Vpn service generates the PSK on the user's behalf. This
> makes it easier for the cloud admin to enforce key strength.
> This is also the way AWS VPC works.

I can update this.

>>>  2.  Why is this restricted to admin only?
>>
>>Currently only admin can create/delete private gateway and vpn gateway of
>>VPC.
>>Though Alena just update me that he/she can do it on behavior of other
>>account.
>>
>>>  3.  Does this require "conserve mode = true" ?
>>
>>Currently we only support VPC, so it's no conserve mode here.
>>
>>I think even in the future when we support isolated guest network, this
>>wouldn't be an restriction.
>>
>>>  4.  Is NAT traversal supported?
>>
>>Yes. I enabled it in openswan configuration.
>>
>>>  5.  FS and test suite in my mind should cover FCAPS (faults,
>>>configuration,
>>> administration, performance, security) *   How do you deal with faults?
>>
>>DPD would try to keep it recover and connected.
>>
>>> What happens when the VR is restarted?
>>
>>Currently we didn't restart VPN connection automatically. I would fix
>>that.
>>
>>> What happens if VR gets disconnected from the remote end?
>>
>>DPD would try to recover it. I've set a 3 time retry for initial
>>connection,
>>but not sure about how many time it would retry in the disconnection after
>>that.
>>
>>> *   The API parameters and responses need to be more
>>> completely documented.
>>
>>Sure.
>>
>>> *   If a user complains that his s-2-s VPN is not
>>> working / used to work but does not now, how can customer support
>>>diagnose
>>> this problem?
>>
>>Log is in the /var/log/auth.log and /var/log/daemon.log. I didn't pull it
>>out
>>to separate files because openswan separate log output lacks of timestamp.
>
> Can we think of a better way? Are these logs being rotated / archived? I
> think the former is, not sure about the latter.

The both log files are rorated/archived. They are in the scope of
standard syslog.

>>> *   How well does this perform: what is the target throughput
>>> and what is the size (RAM/CPU) needed to achieve this performance?
>>
>>Not tested yet.
>>
>>> *   Is there a need for a later kernel on the VR for AES support?
>>
>>No. AES can be done by software as well.
>
> What I mean is: take advantage of acceleration offered by Intel chips that
> implement the AES-NI instruction. It is my understanding that the current
> bits of the VR are unable to do this.

Yes, and last time we tried the kernel support it and it failed... We
need look into the kernel issue though.

>>> *   How secure
>>> is this implementation? Can the PSK be guessed? Are the latest security
>>> patches for OpenSwan available in the VR?
>>
>>The level of security is the same as normal site to site implementation.
>>So it
>>depends on PSK to be generated. Since we didn't generated it, user
>>controls
>>it.
>>
>>For the security upgrade, it would be a common issue rather than vpn
>>specified.
>>We lack of up-to-date security upgrade mechanism. I suppose it's should
>>in the
>>plan.
>
> My point is that when the feature is released, there shouldn't be any
> known security issues with the software and it should be patched to the
> latest level. Of course, future security issues is a different question.

Sure

--Sheng

Re: site-to-site VPN review

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Chiradeep Vittal
<Ch...@citrix.com> wrote:
> Also, if we could put out an example Cisco / Juniper configuration that is
> known to work with the CloudStack site-to-site VPN, that would be great.

Yes, that's already in my scope.

--Sheng

RE: site-to-site VPN review

Posted by Kevin Kluge <Ke...@citrix.com>.
I've heard some requests for that and I do think it would be a good feature.  CloudBridge is notably different from site-site VPN though.  It works at layer 2, does WAN optimization, and requires CloudBridge at both ends of the connection.

-kevin

RE: site-to-site VPN review

Posted by Clement Chen <cl...@citrix.com>.

Re: site-to-site VPN review

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: site-to-site VPN review

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: site-to-site VPN review

Posted by Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>.
On Monday, July 02, 2012 12:48:33 PM Chiradeep Vittal wrote:
> I took another look at the FS
> http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/DesignDocs/Site-to-site+VPN+functional+sp
> ec And the test suite
> http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/QA/Site-to-Site+VPN
>

>  1.  It isn't clear if we are going to use pre-shared keys (PSK) or
> public-key (RSA keys) *   If PSK, who generates this and what is the
> strength of this key? *   Can this PSK be changed / revoked ?

We're using PSK. Currently user generate the psk key and program it on the
both side of VPN. Update the spec.

>  2.  Why is this restricted to admin only?

Currently only admin can create/delete private gateway and vpn gateway of VPC.
Though Alena just update me that he/she can do it on behavior of other
account.

>  3.  Does this require "conserve mode = true" ?

Currently we only support VPC, so it's no conserve mode here.

I think even in the future when we support isolated guest network, this
wouldn't be an restriction.

>  4.  Is NAT traversal supported?

Yes. I enabled it in openswan configuration.

>  5.  FS and test suite in my mind should cover FCAPS (faults, configuration,
> administration, performance, security) *   How do you deal with faults?

DPD would try to keep it recover and connected.

> What happens when the VR is restarted?

Currently we didn't restart VPN connection automatically. I would fix that.

> What happens if VR gets disconnected from the remote end?

DPD would try to recover it. I've set a 3 time retry for initial connection,
but not sure about how many time it would retry in the disconnection after
that.

> *   The API parameters and responses need to be more
> completely documented.

Sure.