Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/04/15 19:32:37 UTC

Re: How to run hadoop jar command in a clustered environment

Hello Thoihen,

I'm moving this discussion from common-dev (questions about developing
Hadoop) to user (questions about using Hadoop).

If you haven't already seen it, then I recommend reading the cluster setup
documentation.  It's a bit different depending on the version of the Hadoop
code that you're deploying and running.  You mentioned JobTracker, so I
expect that you're using something from the 1.x line, but here are links to
both 1.x and 2.x docs just in case:

1.x: http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.1.2/cluster_setup.html
2.x/trunk:
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/ClusterSetup.html

To address your specific questions:

1. You can run the hadoop jar command and submit MapReduce jobs from any
machine that has the Hadoop software and configuration deployed and has
network connectivity to the machines that make up the Hadoop cluster.

2. Yes, you can use a separate machine that is not a member of the cluster
(meaning it does not run Hadoop daemons like DataNode, TaskTracker, or
NodeManager).  This is your choice.  I've found it valuable to isolate
nodes like this to prevent MR job tasks from taking processing resources
away from interactive user commands, but this does mean that the resources
on that node can't be utilized by MR jobs during user idle times, so it
causes a small hit to overall utilization.

Hope this helps,
--Chris

Posted by maisnam ns <ma...@gmail.com>.
@Chris thanks a lot that helped a lot.