Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> on 2015/07/05 01:01:31 UTC

Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Hi Folks!

I believe I've now worked through the logistics to put up the first RC for
1.2.0. At the moment I'm waiting on a Procedure V2 blocker[1], which I hope
means we'll be ready to go sometime Monday. Unless someone would like
otherwise, I'm planning to have a voting window of a week.

As a reminder, once RC0 goes up for a vote we'll be feature locked for the
1.2.0 release.

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-14017

--
Sean

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> We haven't had a chance to test distributed log replay. Maybe later this
> year.

I'm trying a run with it now to get a basic measure. Will be back.

St.Ack

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Jul 6, 2015 7:00 PM, "Enis Söztutar" <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would put https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-13832 and
> HBASE-13415 also in the must-have list.

wfm. Please make sure they are marked blocker with a fix version of 1.2.0.

> For DLR, +1 for disable. I would not be comfortable with it going enabled
> by default unless it is tested throughly.

I'll start a DISCUSS thread to make sure any opposition has a chance to be
heard.

--
Sean

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Matteo Bertozzi <th...@gmail.com>.
the current proc-v2 does not do anything magic,
and does not do communication from master to RSs,
so there is nothing related to rolling upgrades.
and there is a test that verifies client compatibility.
you can do rolling upgrade between 0.98 to 1.2+.
you can have mix matched client and server version
or master version and everything works as before.
of course you don't have the benefit of proc-v2 until your cluster is
updated.
(if something fails in the middle of a master operation you still have to
run hbck)

Matteo

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

> >> Let's have some testing of this before we commit to this decision. I'd
> >> hate
> >> for us to be in a situation where reality doesn't jive with theory due
> >> something self inflicted.  I also feel that removing well exercised code
> >> paths in minor versions seems risky. (No qualms for removing in major
> >> version)

That is why I suggested that we keep the handlers in branch-1.1 so that in
case something serious comes up (especially related to customer support
environments) that at least we can go back to previous handler logic and
sideline the issues. We do not need to (and should not) keep handlers
around in branch-1 from a compatibility point of view. Whether to keep it
as a backup option to be able to sleep better at night is debatable.
Maintaining handlers in the code base is not difficult, but we need to
re-add them back since in branch-1 they are already removed (see release
notes for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-13469). I think we
should never give the option of using handlers, only except for guarding
against problems in procv2 without any workaround.

We have been running all sorts of IT tests including
IntegrationTestDDLMasterFailover, and some other master failover tests as
well as rolling upgrade from 0.98.4 (HDP-2.2) versions, and all of the
discovered issues have been fixed (see subtasks of HBASE-12439). We
consider proc v2 to be pretty stable thanks to Matteo and Stephen's work.

For rolling upgrades between procv2 masters and non-procv2 masters, RU
should work. These are independent of each other with minimal shared state
(except for actual hdfs and zk data structures). If you have a master
failure during create table for example, the outcome was not defined. In
that sense it does not change the semantics.

Enis

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// jon@cloudera.com // @jmhsieh

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
I've been waiting for two green nightly runs on the 1.2 line. I know
Stack's been knocking out some of the failures and I'm hoping to have
track-down-jenkins time this week myself.

--
Sean

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
HBASE-14317 now marked as a blocker. Thanks for the feedback Elliot.

--
Sean

Re: Current status of 1.2.0RC0

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.