Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Boneless1213 <bo...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/24 19:00:39 UTC

Re: Another back button issue - question on answer given in another thread

Here is what I mean by rebuilds.

For this instance I have a browse page and a viewDetails page, you click
links on the browse page and it changes the contents on the browse
page.(I've tried stateless and regular link). So lets say I hit the next
link twice and then I hit the back button on my browser. So i hit next twice
goes browse.0 -> browse.1 then browse.1->browse.2 then I hit back so then
I'm once again on browse.1 now I place 2 debug breakpoints one in browse
constructor and one in viewdetails constructor. I click a viewdetails link
and the first thing it does is hit the browse constructor again rebuilding
in other words re-constructing from the constructor keeping all data that
was there when I left browse.2 and it rebuilds the browse page the way
browse.2 was built because it has all the same data. So then the viewdetails
link displays details for one of the vehicles that was on browse.2.

So as for dealing with a same instance, it is not, it is creating a new
instance when I click a link on browse.1. I would rather that it clicks a
link on the previous instance of browse.1 that i had(Is this what you were
explaining as the way wicket should work?). Or anything else that would give
the effect of clicking the back button and having the links displayed
actually point to the details of that vehicle.

Re: Another back button issue - question on answer given in another thread

Posted by Boneless1213 <bo...@gmail.com>.

James Carman wrote:

> So, whatever happened with this issue?  I'm just curious.

I started to use BookmarkablePageLink's so that the html stored the location
of the link instead of the program, that didn't make the back button work
though(Unless I clicked on of those links, they always work now). And then I
removed a lot of field level data from my objects and tried to keep as much
memory local as I could. I was able to do this and get the back button to
work 3 but on the 4th it still gave me the same error.  forgot to mention
but I also changed the display of my contents into an IPageableListView

People besides me probably know a lot more about what is truly happening,
but it seems that Wicket is storing a certain amount of back button data and
I was running out. And now I'm still running out(If I bring down the list
that I store in the list view it allows many more back button pushes).

I changed to the ListView hoping that it would store the data once for the
list view and then as I navigate forward and backward through the list view
it would go off that one piece of data. instead it seems to be saving it all
for each navigation, otherwise I wouldn't get more back button usage out of
a smaller list.

So if anyone in the future reads this and wants to know what worked in my
particular case. I think cutting down on field level variables is what
worked.(Would putting transient in front of the variables you don't need to
store work?).

Re: Another back button issue - question on answer given in another thread

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Do you see any error messages in your console.  Perhaps Wicket can't
serialize your page(s)?