Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by whizdom <vi...@yahoo.com> on 2008/08/22 03:18:37 UTC

Tomcat not sending Set-Cookie info if Filter is present

The zipped folder attached (
http://www.nabble.com/file/p19099859/struts-beans.tar.gz struts-beans.tar.gz
) is ready for deployment on Tomcat.  It contains a very basic sample app to
illustrate the problem we are facing.  With the Filter in place, whenever we
don't have a session and the initial request we make is for a non-existent
page, Tomcat creates a session for the user.  However, its not able to
associate the session with the user's next request!  Meaning that second
session is created if the same user request another page from the same site.

To replicate the problem:
* Request for a non-existent page, e.g.
http://localhost:8080/struts-beans/blah.do
* Note the number of sessions on tomcat status manager (there should be 1
session)
* On the customized 404 error page, click on the link to "register1", which
is a link to another page on the site.
* Check the number of sessions again... 2 sessions!

I believe the problem is that Tomcat does not send the Set-Cookie
information with JSESSIONID in it if the Filter is present.  Without the
filter, there is only single session across the requests (like it should
be).

FYI: We are using Tomcat 5.5. The sample Application is written in the
Struts 1.2.x framework.

Why is this happening?  I would truly appreciate any help in this area.

Thanks.
-Vivek.