Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> on 2008/01/22 10:06:13 UTC

Re: Cforms and Character Encoding

On 08.12.2007 13:37, Peter Sparkes wrote:

> I am using Cforms in Cocoon 2.1.10 to amend an XML file. The character
> encoding is UTF-8
>
> The Euro sign € gets converted to â&#130;¬ and UK pound sign £ to £
>> from the field widget. I am using the saveDocument function from the
> samples and have set
> transformer.setOutputProperty(Packages.javax.xml.transform.OutputKeys.ENCODING,
> "UTF-8");
>
> Please, how do I correct this problem?

I can't tell you how to correct it since I don't know where it goes
wrong. But what happens is that a 2-byte-character (as in UTF-8) is read
byte by byte (as in ISO-8859-1). Maybe it is only a problem with
watching the file without an encoding-aware editor which reads it in
ISO-8859-1?

Joerg

Re: Cforms and Character Encoding

Posted by Peter Sparkes <pe...@didm.co.uk>.
Thanks for the advice

I have tested with various versions of IE and Firefox and all' fine

Peter

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 23.01.2008 03:51, Tobia Conforto wrote:

>> The problem turned out to be in web.xml
>> I amended
>>           <param-name>form-encoding</param-name>
>>           <param-value>ISO-8859-1</param-value>
>>           <param-name>form-encoding</param-name>
>>           <param-value>UTF-8</param-value>
>> and now everything is in UTF-8 and works properly
>
> Just a word of caution: make sure you test your forms on every possible
> web browser. I've had trouble with this setting in the past.

I've never encountered a browser-specific problem of that kind.

Joerg

Re: Cforms and Character Encoding

Posted by Gabriel Gruber <Ga...@workflow.at>.
> Peter Sparkes wrote:
> > The problem turned out to be in web.xml
> > I amended
> >           <param-name>form-encoding</param-name>
> >           <param-value>ISO-8859-1</param-value>
> >           <param-name>form-encoding</param-name>
> >           <param-value>UTF-8</param-value>
> > and now everything is in UTF-8 and works properly
>
> Just a word of caution: make sure you test your forms on every
> possible web browser.
> I've had trouble with this setting in the past.

Our enterprise product which heavily uses Cforms and cocoon has the
form-encoding set to UTF-8 which works for us quite well :-)

Gabriel

Re: Cforms and Character Encoding

Posted by Tobia Conforto <to...@linux.it>.

Posted by Peter Sparkes <pe...@didm.co.uk>.
Thanks Joerg,

The problem turned out to be in web.xml

I amended

<init-param>
            <param-name>form-encoding</param-name>
            <param-value>ISO-8859-1</param-value>
 </init-param>

<init-param>
            <param-name>form-encoding</param-name>
            <param-value>UTF-8</param-value>
 </init-param>

and now everything is in UTF-8 and works properly

The problem was that the form was sending UTF-8 but it was being read as
ISO-8859-1

Peter