Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thone Soungpanya <th...@higherone.com> on 2015/01/12 23:38:46 UTC

Slow HTTP Rquest via Tomcat

Hello,

Can anyone give some advice on what the issue may be? We have a web application folder in Tomcat that have been slowing the http request's connection to another third party system when there are high traffic. It seems to be halting in the Tomcat server for about 20 - 50 seconds before attempting to connect to the third party system. Once it tries to connect to the third party system, the response time is only about 6 - 10 seconds which is normal. It does not seem to be an issue at the third party's end as the response time is quick once we get connected.

Here are the specs that we have and additional information...

1) Apache Tomcat 7.0.56
2) JVM version 1.7
3) Running on Linux OS Version 2.6.32

Connection Flow:
1) User submits a HTTP request from web application to Tomcat
2) Tomcat calls Java's servlet code along with HTTP request parameters
3) Java servlet code connects to third party system via application server and jolt port
4) Third party system returns requested information

We thought it would be a session issue which we lowered the session timeout (just for that folder) in WEB-INF folder to 5 minutes from defaulted 30 minutes but it is still doing the same thing.

Any advice on what it may be? Let me know if you need additional information.

Thank you in advance!

Thone

RE: Slow HTTP Rquest via Tomcat

Posted by Thone Soungpanya <th...@higherone.com>.
Hello Chris,

Yes, sorry when we pull from a Splunk program we have for the logs, it splits it out in the reverse order.

Regarding #3, yes sorry it was missing from the logs but it basically return some information we request around that time.

Tomcat is reloading in the middle of the request? -- Yes I was looking into why this is doing so but I recall seeing on the google searches that it is done by default to reload all web folders? Is this not suppose to behavior this way? If not, where would the setting be to turn this off as I couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks,

Thone

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Thone Soungpanya wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Thank you all for responding to my issue. I will see if we can turn off autodeploy and see if this helps. Will let you know.
>
> Yes, that seems confusing if it is just stating "DEBUG Checking context[/ps_9.0_8.53.02_1] redeploy resource /usr/local/tomcat-instance5/webapps/ps_9.0_8.53.02_1.war". That statement seems as if it checked context, founded that something changed so it redeployed. But sounds like it did not per Mark's comment.
>
> Also, I checked the folders for conf files, etc. and no file timestamps have changed. It always had the same timestamp as the day we deployed the folder unless we directly changed the file data for some reason.

Another suggestion maybe : as you see, the logfiles are currently quite confusing, in
terms of identifying what /this/ current issue may be.
That is in part because, by setting the log-level to "debug", we also get all these other
(probably) unrelated messages in-between, for things that in this case are merely
"clutter" which obscures the thing which we are really trying to figure out.

On the other hand, I think I see that the application itself (which apparently you
control) sends some messages of its own, at the "info" level.
So my sggestion would be, for now, to reset the loglevel to "info", and maybe add some
additional "info" loging messages in the application, to better trace just what is
happening in the application.

That is also because, so far, I don't think that your main issue (if I recall correctly,
that was that "sometimes" it seems that the application takes very long to connect to the
external server) is very visible in the logs.
There should be a log message
- a) when the application actually starts running
- b) just before it makes that external connection to "PeopleSoft"
- c) at the moment that connection is established
- d) at the moment it sends something to the external server
- e) and at the moment it returns from the call to that external server
then we could see clearly (without tens of intermediate debug-level internal Tomcat
messages) where the delays occur.
It would also help very much if each of these log messages showed some kind of unique
request-linked identifier, so that we can easily figure out if this is a single request,
or several parallel ones.

RE: Slow HTTP Rquest via Tomcat

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Slow HTTP Rquest via Tomcat

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

David,

On 1/14/15 1:15 PM, David kerber wrote:
> On 1/14/2015 1:02 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote: Thone,

> See http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html and
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html#Automatic_Application_Deployment
>

> It defaults to true because it's not much overhead and most people
> want to allow automatic re-deployment of web applications. It's
> easily disabled.
>
> The real question is "why is Tomcat deciding to reload"?
>
> The only time Tomcat reloads for us (we run with autoDeploy set to
> default in production) is when we "touch" the META-INF/context.xml
> file.
>
> You should check the timestamps on your context.xml files (or
> appname.xml files, if you are placing those into
> CATALINA_BASE/conf/[engine]/[host]/[appname].xml) and/or your WAR
> files (or exploded WAR directories) in your appbase (defaults to
> CATALINA_BASE/webapps) to see if those timestamps are changing for
> some reason.
>
> Timestamps should be retained in ms since the epoch, so DST
> changes shouldn't have any effect (e.g. in March, your webapps
> won't automatically reload just because of clock adjustments). But,
> if the system time changes radically for some reason, it may
> trigger a reload or if the file dates change for some reason (I
> dunno... some weird NFS thing?) then you may also get a reload.
>
> I wonder if these occasional slow-downs are an artifact of
> reloading the web application in the middle of a request.
>
>> I take it TC is running as a service (or whatever it's called on
>> Linux)? And if so, will it auto restart if TC crashes?  I know
>> it's quite a stretch, but if something was messed up badly
>> enough, could it crash the service during the request, causing it
>> to auto restart and reload?

Possibly.

I re-read the log file, and there are no logs that actually say that
the context is reloading. It just says "checking context[/path] reload
resource" over and over again. I checked, and Tomcat does not emit any
log messages that look like that... this must come from somewhere else.

so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. What I can tell is that some
component is furiously checking "reload resources" during the time
period covered by that log file.

I would check the /Tomcat/ log during the same period to see if
anything is happening, there.

- -chris

Re: Slow HTTP Rquest via Tomcat

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Thone,

On 1/13/15 7:59 PM, Thone Soungpanya wrote:
> [...]

> Before #2 happens, Tomcat reloads. Many (all?) web applications were
> re-loaded. Was that expected?
>
>> 2) Connection to Third Party System happened at 16:12:22. You can see
>> it on line 38 with following text "2015-01-12 16:12:22,426 INFO
>> 06E4074221FF93C2827079EBC2102847; begin request"
>
> Okay.
>
>> 3) Response back to Tomcat from Third Party System at 16:12:29
>
> This does not appear in the log.
>
>> So it seems that between point#1 and point #2, there was about a 1
>> minute and 16 seconds delay before connection to the third party.
>> Point #2 to Point #3 only took 7 seconds.
>>
>> Can you or anyone see what may be the issue from the logs?

Maybe if you provide clearer logs, having some real information allowing to distinguish one request processing sequence from another.

> Tomcat is reloading in the middle of the request?

 From the (very difficult) look of it, it seems that this system is spending its time reloading its applications almost continuously.
[...]

	Line 1098: 2015-01-12 16:11:07,396 DEBUG Checking context[/ps_1.5_8.53.10] redeploy resource /usr/local/tomcat-instance5/webapps/ps_1.5_8.53.10
	Line 1097: 2015-01-12 16:11:07,396 DEBUG Checking context[/ps_1.5_8.53.10] redeploy resource /usr/local/tomcat-instance5/conf/Catalina/localhost/ps_1.5_8.53.10.xml
	Line 1096: 2015-01-12 16:11:07,396 DEBUG Checking context[/ps_1.5_8.53.10] redeploy resource /usr/local/tomcat-instance5/webapps/ps_1.5_8.53.10/META-INF/context.xml
	Line 1095: 2015-01-12 16:11:07,396 DEBUG Checking context[/ps_1.5_8.53.10] redeploy resource /usr/local/tomcat-instance5/conf/context.xml
	Line 1094: 2015-01-12 16:11:07,396 DEBUG Checking context[/ps_1.5_8.53.10] reload resource /usr/local/tomcat-instance5/webapps/ps_1.5_8.53.10/WEB-INF/web.xml
	Line 972: 2015-01-12 16:11:08,108 DEBUG The variable [uriBC] has value [/ps_1.5_8.53.10/servlet/PSConnectorServlet]
	Line 969: 2015-01-12 16:11:08,108 DEBUG Security checking request GET /ps_1.5_8.53.10/servlet/PSConnectorServlet
	Line 964: 2015-01-12 16:11:08,109 DEBUG     --> Returning
'file:/usr/local/tomcat-instance5/webapps/ps_1.5_8.53.10/WEB-INF/classes/pscn.properties'
	Line 963: 2015-01-12 16:11:08,109 DEBUG   --> Returning
'file:/usr/local/tomcat-instance5/webapps/ps_1.5_8.53.10/WEB-INF/classes/pscn.properties'
	Line 775: 2015-01-12 16:11:15,918 DEBUG Checking context[/ps_1.5_8.53.10] redeploy resource /usr/local/tomcat-instance5/webapps/ps_1.5_8.53.10.war
	Line 774: 2015-01-12 16:11:15,918 DEBUG Checking context[/ps_1.5_8.53.10] redeploy resource /usr/local/tomcat-instance5/webapps/ps_1.5_8.53.10
	Line 773: 2015-01-12 16:11:15,918 DEBUG Checking context[/ps_1.5_8.53.10] redeploy resource /usr/local/tomcat-instance5/conf/Catalina/localhost/ps_1.5_8.53.10.xml
	Line 772: 2015-01-12 16:11:15,918 DEBUG Checking context[/ps_1.5_8.53.10] redeploy resource /usr/local/tomcat-instance5/webapps/ps_1.5_8.53.10/META-INF/context.xml
	Line 771: 2015-01-12 16:11:15,918 DEBUG Checking context[/ps_1.5_8.53.10] redeploy resource /usr/local/tomcat-instance5/conf/context.xml
	Line 770: 2015-01-12 16:11:15,918 DEBUG Checking context[/ps_1.5_8.53.10] reload resource /usr/local/tomcat-instance5/webapps/ps_1.5_8.53.10/WEB-INF/web.xml

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Thone,
>
> On 1/13/15 1:05 PM, Thone Soungpanya wrote:
>> Hello Andre,
>>
>> I do not think it is an DNS lookup issue but I'll check on it.
>>
>> Yes we actually have logs but it does not tell us much. We added
>> additional logging in our servlet code to tell us when and what the
>> code is doing. I have attached a log for 1 connection which took
>> about 1 minute and 23 seconds to complete. I have eliminated all
>> sensitive information with "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX". During this
>> time, there would be other connections too simultaneously.
>>
>> Some information on the request: 1) HTTP request initiated at
>> 16:11:06 to Tomcat.
>
> This is a very confusing log file... from latest-to-oldest.

+10

> Before #2 happens, Tomcat reloads. Many (all?) web applications were
> re-loaded. Was that expected?
>
>> 2) Connection to Third Party System happened at 16:12:22. You can
>> see it on line 38 with following text "2015-01-12 16:12:22,426
>> INFO 06E4074221FF93C2827079EBC2102847; begin request"
>
> Okay.
>
>> 3) Response back to Tomcat from Third Party System at 16:12:29
>
> This does not appear in the log.
>
>> So it seems that between point#1 and point #2, there was about a 1
>> minute and 16 seconds delay before connection to the third party.
>> Point #2 to Point #3 only took 7 seconds.
>>
>> Can you or anyone see what may be the issue from the logs?

Maybe if you provide clearer logs, having some real information allowing to distinguish
one request processing sequence from another.

> Tomcat is reloading in the middle of the request?

Right, that's what it looks like.
And not only this one time.
 From the (very difficult) look of it, it seems that this system is spending its time

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Thone Soungpanya <th...@higherone.com>.
Hello Chris,

The average number of simultaneous requests I would say would be about 1500 connections when this slows down. Is there a max number of connection or memory limitation? We have about 4 GB of memory on the system which 1 GB is set as the XMX value for this JVM instance.

Jolt port is Oracle Technology which will handle all web requests and communicate between PeopleSoft application server and web server.

Ok, I will try the thread dump of the application and see if it will give some information.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Thone Soungpanya <th...@higherone.com>.
Hello Chris,

Thank you for your quick response.

[...]