Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "Hailu, Andreas" <An...@gs.com> on 2020/01/03 22:16:01 UTC

Table API: Joining on Tables of Complex Types

Hi folks,

I'm trying to join two Tables which are composed of complex types, Avro's GenericRecord to be exact. I have to use a custom UDF to extract fields out of the record and I'm having some trouble on how to do joins on them as I need to call this UDF to read what I need. Example below:

batchTableEnvironment.registerFunction("getField", new GRFieldExtractor()); // GenericRecord field extractor
Table users = batchTableEnvironment.fromDataSet(usersDataset); // Converting from some pre-existing DataSet
Table otherDataset = batchTableEnvironment.fromDataSet(someOtherDataset);
Table userNames = t.select("getField(f0, userName)"); // This is how the UDF is used, as GenericRecord is a complex type requiring you to invoke a get() method on the field you're interested in. Here we get a get on field 'userName'

I'd like to do something using the Table API similar to the query "SELECT * from otherDataset WHERE otherDataset.userName = users.userName". How is this done?

Best,
Andreas

The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
See http://www.gs.com/disclaimer/global_email for important risk disclosures, conflicts of interest and other terms and conditions relating to this e-mail and your reliance on information contained in it.  This message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this message.  See http://www.gs.com/disclaimer/email for further information on confidentiality and the risks of non-secure electronic communication.  If you cannot access these links, please notify us by reply message and we will send the contents to you.

________________________________

Your Personal Data: We may collect and process information about you that may be subject to data protection laws. For more information about how we use and disclose your personal data, how we protect your information, our legal basis to use your information, your rights and who you can contact, please refer to: www.gs.com/privacy-notices<http://www.gs.com/privacy-notices>

Re: Table API: Joining on Tables of Complex Types

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi Andreas,

you are right, currently the Row type only supports accessing fields by
index. Usually, we recommend to fully work in Table API. There you can
access structured type fields by name (`SELECT row.field.field` or
`'row.get("field").get("field")`) and additional utilities such as
`flatten()`.

Can't you just use the schema of the table to as a helper for bridging
the names to indices?

Regards,
Timo

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.
Hi Andreas,

Posted by "Hailu, Andreas" <An...@gs.com>.
Dawid, this approach looks promising. I'm able to flatten out my Avro records into Rows and run simple queries atop of them. I've got a question - when I register my Rows as a table, I see the following log providing a warning:

2020-01-14 17:16:43,083 [main] INFO  TypeExtractor - class org.apache.flink.types.Row does not contain a getter for field fields
2020-01-14 17:16:43,083 [main] INFO  TypeExtractor - class org.apache.flink.types.Row does not contain a setter for field fields

Posted by "Hailu, Andreas" <An...@gs.com>.

Posted by Dawid Wysakowicz <dw...@apache.org>.
Hi Andreas,

Posted by "Hailu, Andreas" <An...@gs.com>.