Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by David Erickson <ha...@ratemod.com> on 2005/08/16 18:20:41 UTC

James SMTP Auth Question

Just curious but how does James know the difference between mail sent in
from an authenticated user for remote delivery, from mail sent in from
another email server where the host is not local and needs remote delivery?

Thanks,
David

RE: James SMTP Auth Question

Posted by David Erickson <ha...@ratemod.com>.
And there is our authoritative answer, thanks =)
-David

Re: James SMTP Auth Question

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

RE: James SMTP Auth Question

Posted by Ivan Jouikov <iv...@ablogic.net>.
Hmm I am not sure, if I were you I'd look it up in the James API and see
what properties a Message or whatever name they use has.  I remember it
had things like ghost and such.

Either way, if it doesn't - it would be a snap to add that property
there.

Ivan

James
>> know
>> >piece of mail destined for a remote address was given it from an
AUTH'd

Date:

>> 8/15/2005

>> 8/15/2005

8/15/2005

8/15/2005

RE: James SMTP Auth Question

Posted by David Erickson <ha...@ratemod.com>.
Right I know that too.  But as a mail message is cruising through the
pipeline, is there some kind of tag or something on it that says, "Hey I was
given to James from an Authenticated client, so I'm legal to send out to
remote domains"?

-David

RE: James SMTP Auth Question

Posted by Ivan Jouikov <iv...@ablogic.net>.
It's been a while since I set it up, but as far as I remember, SMTP auth
wasn't a mailet, it was set up inside SMTP server itself.  After all,
it's a part of the protocol, not just some processing add-on.

8/15/2005

8/15/2005

RE: James SMTP Auth Question

Posted by David Erickson <ha...@ratemod.com>.
That is what I figured, but where at in the mailets is that defined?  I mean
all mail goes through the same processing pipeline, so how does James know a

RE: James SMTP Auth Question

Posted by Ivan Jouikov <iv...@ablogic.net>.
You kind of confused me there a bit, but here's my knowledge:

When Auth is turned on, you simply add an option for a client to
authenticate.

A client who is NOT authenticated can only send messages to local
address.

A client who is authenticated can also relay messages.

I hope that clears things up.

8/15/2005

8/15/2005

RE: James SMTP Auth Question

Posted by David Erickson <ha...@ratemod.com>.

RE: James SMTP Auth Question

Posted by Ivan Jouikov <iv...@ablogic.net>.
Umm, it doesn't.

All the messages that arrive from "another mail server" could only
arrive with 2 purposes:

1)  It's a message to a local account.  When the message is local - we
automatically accept it.

2)  If it's not a message to a local account - someone's trying to relay
thru you (probably spammers).  This is where you don't want to be an
open relay which's why you have your SMTP auth.

8/15/2005