Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "shammi@arosys.com" <sh...@arosys.com> on 2010/08/11 07:24:40 UTC

James and tomcat Servers

Hi
  I am a newbie. I have to select an email module for my application which
will run in the Tomcat server.Is James will be compatible with tomcat
server?
Can I achieve some of my requirments like
i. Can I program my application to send customised mailes in bulk on the
basis of some criteria(like age group, resion wise etc).
ii.Reading the mailbox and saving the subject, message and the attachments
in the databses like MySQL.
 If these are possible then how can I start?
Thanks.

Re: James and tomcat Servers

Posted by Shahid Faiz <sh...@gmail.com>.
@i:  for sending emails in bulk or anyway, you can use JavaMail API which
can use any SMTP server (James, Sendmail, Postfix) to deliver emails.
@ii: for reading emails it really depends whether you want to process email
as it is received OR you can create a scheduled job/cron job which will read
emails and add those to DB. for first case you can write a Mailet in james
and for second scenario again you can use any mail server (POP/IMAP) with
JavaMail API.

Thanks,
shahid

Re: James and tomcat Servers

Posted by Norman <no...@apache.org>.
Hi,

current trunk runs without problems in a servlet container. You can grap
the snapshot from:

https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/james/james-server-spring-deployment/3.0-SNAPSHOT/

About your other questions...

i. sure you could use javamail todo so or use the MailServer interface
ii. Do you want to store the mailboxes in james or do you want to read
some external mailbox (for example via pop3) and store some metadata in
the db ?

Bye,
Norman