Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Damien Diederen <dd...@apache.org> on 2021/01/06 16:51:39 UTC

3.7.0: JDK 11 vs. JDK 8 (was: [DISCUSS][PROPOSAL] Require JDK 11 to build for 3.7)

Dear ZooKeeper team,

Andor just reminded me of this JDK 11 vs. 8 discussion, for which we did
not reach a resolution.  Do we want to make a move for the 3.7.0 release?

The original proposal, by Christopher, can be found here:

  https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-dev/202010.mbox/%3cCAL5zq9Z2TNfAwjZ7etXPF91QmROvUWV+KHnxgPSD_MSeKfpyWA@mail.gmail.com%3e

I am explicitly replying to Christopher's nice and useful summary, which
you will find directly below.  An archived copy can be found here:

  https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/zookeeper-dev/202010.mbox/%3cCAL5zq9ao9-4S9bmzxaYJM8n8=AoLxiDZ-0ZohunVnAyQei0zAg@mail.gmail.com%3e

It contains three proposals, to which we can add the trivial one:

 1. Compile/test with JDK 11, support JDK 8 "passively";

 2. Compile/test with JDK 11, test client only with JDK 8 (requires test
    suite adaptations);

 3. Move to JDK 11 fully;

 4. Postpone any change to 3.8 (or 4.0).

Flavio wrote:

> [Christopher] mentioned a PMC vote, and I don't think this should be a
> closed vote, independent of how the conversation goes.

Do we have a better idea of what we want?  Or should we organize a vote?

Cheers, -D

--8<--------------- original message ------------->8---

Re: 3.7.0: JDK 11 vs. JDK 8 (was: [DISCUSS][PROPOSAL] Require JDK 11 to build for 3.7)

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Also, software like ZK should lag rather than lead (I realize that moving
to 11 is hardly leading).

There is considerable pain that we inflict when we move JDK requirements
forward.

Posted by Norbert Kalmar <nk...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
I'd say there are quite a few tasks aimed at 4.0. I just answered a thread
about jute.maxbuffer error, which could be improved for example. Or better
yet, throw jute out and use a standardized serialization library.
But there's also the issue of separating client and server code. And I'm
sure there's many more I can't recall right now.

But this is worth a separate vote thread, that's for sure.

- Norbert

Re: 3.7.0: JDK 11 vs. JDK 8

Posted by Damien Diederen <dd...@apache.org>.
Hi Andor, all,

Okay—a clear consensus has emerged in this thread.  3.7+ will follow the
same "JDK policy" as 3.6.

Thank you all for your input.

Cheers, -D

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.