Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Rupert Young <ru...@liberty.nildram.co.uk> on 2004/06/05 14:45:20 UTC

Could not connect to SMTP host

I seem unable to send outgoing emails, getting the error below in the
mailet log.
Should James be able to deliver emails with the default configuration or
do I need to do somethin else?

I have seen this error on this list a few times, but haven't seen what
the resolution is. Does anyone know?

05/06/04 12:58:21 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Temporary
exception delivering mail (Mail1086392133308-0-to-hotmail.com:
javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host:
hotmail.com, port: 25
 at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:899)

Regards,
Rupert

RE: Could not connect to SMTP host (Oh yes I can!!)

Posted by Rupert Young <ru...@liberty.nildram.co.uk>.
Thank you!!

After all the discussions of problems on this list I thought I'd let you
know of the triumph of getting James to work!

Initially I had the problem not being able to receive any messages from
domains other those local to my ISP. Strangely, this seemed to be
something to do with the restrictions on port 25 by my ISP, due to open
relays.  I, therefore, configured SMTP authentication in James. However,
the ISP (nildram) still insisted that my server was an open relay; this
lasted for days, trying out various configurations. I eventually
persuaded them that their test wasn't valid and was only testing that
the SMTP commands were accepted by the server, but not that emails were
actually sent. I was then able to receive emails from any source.

This weekend I have spent the whole of it trying to work out why I still
couldn't send outgoing messages. It was due to not having the DNS
servers set correctly. If only there was slightly more info in the docs
about this (ipconfig /all). No doubt people should know about this, but
I guess a lot of people who are keen on using James are early adopters
who may not know everything. Anyway, thanks for your help and the next
problem is to work out why I can't start James as a Windows service!

Regards,
Rupert

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501

RE: Could not connect to SMTP host

Posted by Lahu <la...@yahoo.com>.
Hey Rupert,

DNS Servers are simply used to look up IP addresses
against human-readable names.

E.g. www.itmatrix.com has an IP address 216.119.118.66
It is the DNS Server that resolves this IP address for
you so that your system could connect to that IP
address. A DNS Server has a number of different types
of records, which help in locating a machine/service
etc. on the web.

In a similar manner, Mail Servers usually look for MX
records in a DNS server. This MX record will actually
point your mail server to connect to the target or
destination mail server for mail delivery.

C:\> ipconfig /all

is a quick way to see what DNS servers your machine is
using. These DNS servers usually belong to the ISP, so
almost 99% of the time the burden of knowing,
managing, maintaining a DNS server is not an
end-user's headache.

Hope this helps !

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@prestosports.com>.