Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jon Baer <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/18 19:54:15 UTC

Good strategy for news in Solr?

Ive spent a few months trying different techniques w/ regards to
searching just news articles w/ players and can't seem to find the
perfect setup.

Normally I take into consideration date (frequency + recently
published), title (which boosts on relevancy) and general mm in body
text (and score)

Sometimes its more of a preference on how to drill into news (own
being most recently published) vs. historical where it can be more
context based ...

Is anyone else toying w/ different setups for searching news in general?

- Jon

Re: Good strategy for news in Solr?

Posted by Jon Baer <jo...@gmail.com>.
Yes, more or less, most of my tries have not been function query based
just basic dismax handler stuff.  I have a bit of a unique case where
Im dealing w/ last names + multiple players (think Staal ;-) and non
tagged content (feeds) so it's a bit tricky than just news articles
and some tend to overload stories w/ just names which don't pertain to
the story context.

I have been trying on the side to do a "3-pass" phase where it's a
normal index, then doc boost on date (ie yesterday's games) and then
taking analytic reports and applying another boost.  I may end up w/
another factor where if a user is signed in, the favorite team is also
pushed as a document boost as well.  This all happens offline though +
really wonder if this type of operation can / will ever reach realtime
to some degree.  Id really like to find some time to develop the whole
thing as more of a DIH plugin (post op).

Any other cool tips to try? :-)

- Jon

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Hey Jon,