Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2022/01/30 12:59:59 UTC

Moving 3.5 to EOL

Hello,
We are going to release 3.8.0.
It is time to think about moving 3.5 to EOL.

Key points:
- we already have a few other "active" branches, 3.6 and 3.7
- 3.5 still has "ant" files, and cherry picking libraries upgrade is
awkward  (you always have to create a separate patch)
- moving to 3.6 is quite easy, so people should not be stuck if
requested to upgrade to 3.6

Thoughts ?

Enrico

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Apache Accumulo has gone through some similar discussions over the years.
What we have come up with is
https://accumulo.apache.org/contributor/versioning.html

(We avoided "LTS", because we don't provide "support" in the commercial
sense, instead using the term "LTM" for long-term maintenance to indicate
our intent to maintain with patches, but it's essentially the same kind of
thing)

Basically, we:

* define our API (https://accumulo.apache.org/api/) and use SemVer as much
as possible
* apply patches to at least 1, and at most 2, LTM releases at a time
* EOL the previous LTM release a year after the next one is released, to
give an entire year for people to transition while still receiving patches
* non-LTM releases are effectively EOL immediately, but can be used as
stepping stones to the next LTM release; it's not that they won't receive
patches at all, but that patches will be rolled into the current
development for the next release, rather than backported to that version

This helps a lot with reducing the developer workload to maintain multiple
branches, communicates our intent to patch, provides predictable update
paths, and gives users the choice to hop from one LTM release to the next
or to follow the non-LTM releases to adopt new features more quickly.

If ZK 3.5 is considered an "LTS" release, and if ZK devs wanted to do
something similar, I would recommend maybe marking 3.7 as the next "LTS"
release, and EOL'ing 3.5 either 1 year from now, or 1 year from 3.7.0's
release date (which is coming up in a few months). You could either make
3.6 an LTS release if you wanted to maintain 2-3 LTS releases at a time
instead of 1-2 like Accumulo does. Or you could EOL 3.6 when you EOL 3.5,
so you can focus on 3.7 as the current LTS.

There's lots of options to go with, but something along these lines,
documented, could be very useful for users and developers/contributors.

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
That's what I was getting at with asking about phrasing like "long
supported" or LTS. The expectation is months or years longer than typical.
ZooKeeper code lines have typically been supported for really long times.
It is a strength of this project, in my opinion. Those of us who have been
around for a while, if we hear "LTS" from you, we think years and years...
Christopher from Accumulo had a good suggestion. Whatever you decide,
document it. Will help with communication. Probably best to avoid use of
the term "LTS" unless you plan on keeping that version around for several
years.

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
Hi folks,

I’ve created a pull request for the website change:

https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/1834

Once the website is updated, I’ll make the announcement for 3.5 EoL.

Thanks,
Andor

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Szalay-Bekő Máté <sz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Andor,

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
Okay, I agree that keeping 2 active versions rather than tying ourselves to some fixed deadlines makes more sense for ZooKeeper. Let’s go with this approach then if there’s no other objections:

1) Add this information to the Releases web page: I’ll describe that ZooKeeper is having 2 active versions (stable and current) and when a new minor version is announced, the least recent will get another 6 months of support (security and bugfixes), but after that it will become EoL. That means no further releases are expected from the community and users should follow the supported upgrade path. I’ll send this out for review soon.

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
[...]

It’s February now, so if we nail down the above points, I don’t see any objections against announcing 3.5 EoL for 1st of June, 2022 (2 years after 3.4 EoL, providing 4 months to upgrade). Maybe we can also communicate that we’re going to officially EoL the least recent ZK version every 2 years.

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Pat,

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
More specifically?

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrew,

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Moving 3.5 to EOL

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
Previously in various contexts - specifically, I am thinking of a Hadoop JIRA where we once had a conversation on this topic, but I believe there have been others - you have declared 3.5 a long term stable (LTS) release.

A sudden EOL of an LTS is jarring and makes future promise of LTS untrustworthy. What I would recommend for what it’s worth is a timetable to EOL of 3.5 that is reasonably long, like one or two years, should you decide to EOL it.