Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by bobby rullo <br...@alexanderinteractive.com> on 2005/03/01 23:54:05 UTC

Global Variables....in JavaScript!

Hello all,

I am creating a component with some client side scripting.

One thing that I can't figure how to get around is how to make a global
javascript variable. Normally you just do it outside of the context of a
function...but there is nowhere to do this in Tapestry that I can see - even the
initialization stuff is in a windows onload function....

Any advice?

Thanks

Bobby

Re: Global Variables....in JavaScript!

Posted by Wilkes Joiner <wi...@gmail.com>.
You can attach it to the window object.

window.myVariable = myVariable

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 22:54:05 +0000 (UTC), bobby rullo

Posted by bobby rullo <br...@alexanderinteractive.com>.
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Re: Global Variables....in JavaScript!

Posted by Barry Books <bf...@mac.com>.
I just put them at the top of the code in the body tag of my script
file like

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- $Id: popup.script,v 1.1 2003/03/05 23:02:35 hlship Exp $ -->
<!DOCTYPE script PUBLIC
         "-//Apache Software Foundation//Tapestry Script Specification
3.0//EN"
         "http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/dtd/Script_3_0.dtd">

<script>
<input-symbol key="url" class="java.lang.String" required="yes"/>

// global flag
var isIE = false;

Posted by Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo>.
bobby rullo <br <at> alexanderinteractive.com> writes:

> One thing that I can't figure how to get around is how to make a global
> javascript variable. Normally you just do it outside of the context of a
> function...but there is nowhere to do this in Tapestry that I can see -
> even the
> initialization stuff is in a windows onload function....

Use a Script component with a script file like:

<script>
<![CDATA[
var myGlobalVar;
]]>
</script>

Re: Global Variables....in JavaScript!

Posted by "F. Da Costa Gomez" <da...@gmail.com>.
bobby rullo wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am creating a component with some client side scripting.
>
> One thing that I can't figure how to get around is how to make a global
> javascript variable. Normally you just do it outside of the context of a
> function...but there is nowhere to do this in Tapestry that I can see - even the
> initialization stuff is in a windows onload function....
I resolved this by using a completely hidden frame that contains *only* js code
and variables. Big advantage is the fact that the js 'stuff' is *always*
available for every page. A small drawback might be the very frame fact, a price
i'm willing to pay because of the added advantages.

my 2c

Cheers,
Fermin DCG