Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com> on 2010/01/22 11:35:19 UTC

Software grant license questions and process

Hi all,

As part of the software grant, we are today peeling out all MetaCarta license text from the source code.  This leads to a couple
of questions.

(1) Grant previously indicated that we should replace the MetaCarta license text with Apache license text.  I need to confirm
that this would be Apache 2.0 license text, to be very specific.
(2) There are a few places in the code (e.g. inside a SharePoint assembly) where a copyright string is also required, but are
presumably presented to an end user under some conditions.  Does Apache have a standard string to use in these situations?

And finally, it seems to me that as new issues come up, a good way forward might be to simply note the issue in JIRA as a
ticket, rather than trying to address everything before the grant actually takes place.  Comments?

Thanks,
Karl

Re: Software grant license questions and process

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As part of the software grant, we are today peeling out all MetaCarta
> license text from the source code.  This leads to a couple of questions.
>
> (1) Grant previously indicated that we should replace the MetaCarta license
> text with Apache license text.  I need to confirm that this would be Apache
> 2.0 license text, to be very specific.

Yes.

> (2) There are a few places in the code (e.g. inside a SharePoint assembly)
> where a copyright string is also required, but are presumably presented to
> an end user under some conditions.  Does Apache have a standard string to
> use in these situations?

I'm not an authority on packaging issues but I don't see why that would be
any different than the copyright text in any Apache project's NOTICE.txt

For example, Solr has "Copyright 2006-2008 The Apache Software Foundation"
in the NOTICE.txt

> And finally, it seems to me that as new issues come up, a good way forward
> might be to simply note the issue in JIRA as a ticket, rather than trying to
> address everything before the grant actually takes place.  Comments?

+1

That would just delay the grant and keep us from hacking away :)

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.