Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/09/02 15:48:39 UTC

Fixed release dates (was Re: About Integrate Forrest Maven plugin (FOR-55))

Juan Jose Pablos wrote, On 02/09/2003 15.19:
> Hi List,
>
> Do we want to add this before the release?

I'd say that the person doing the release should decide when he has good
time to do it. Then, we decide a freeze date some days before it, and
everything that is committed before becomes part of the release.

This is because IMHO timed releases are better for a project like
Forrest that has so many extra features in it.

Jeff, if you are still willing to do the release, please tell us when
and give us a freeze date, so that whoever wants to add other things
shall do so before that date.

Also, what about setting other fixed release dates? How about one every
two months?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Fixed release dates (was Re: About Integrate Forrest Maven plugin (FOR-55))

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
Nicola,

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Then how about every two months + two weeks after a Cocoon version?

I prefer to base our releases on features more than on time, but I happy
if everyone said so.

> It will take some time before Cocoon gets to 2.2.

Should we wait two weeks after 2.1.1?

Cheers,
Cheche

Re: Fixed release dates (was Re: About Integrate Forrest Maven plugin (FOR-55))

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Juan Jose Pablos wrote, On 02/09/2003 17.16:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>> Also, what about setting other fixed release dates? How about one every
>> two months?
>>
> Because we are mainly based in Cocoon, How about 2 weeks after our
> cocoon's version?

Good idea.

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
Nicola,
As far as  I was aware, Jeff wanted to release this week. I would like
to use JIRA[1] to specify what should be fix before Jeff's release.

[1] http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?subset=3

Re: Fixed release dates (was Re: About Integrate Forrest Maven plugin (FOR-55))

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
Jeff,

Jeff Turner wrote:

> How about Friday 11:00h GMT?

a release on Friday?, well, I am not sure when people have more free
time to fix if something goes wrong. If you think that it is better over
  the weekend then I happy.

Cheers,
Cheche

Re: Fixed release dates (was Re: About Integrate Forrest Maven plugin (FOR-55))

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Jeff Turner wrote, On 03/09/2003 0.47:
>>Jeff, if you are still willing to do the release, please tell us when
>>and give us a freeze date, so that whoever wants to add other things
>>shall do so before that date.
>
> How about Friday 11:00h GMT?

Any day is ok for me, +1.

>>Also, what about setting other fixed release dates? How about one every
>>two months?
>
> Sounds fine as a general principle.  Sometimes a longer period is
> warranted.  Although the six-month delay between 0.4 and 0.5 is pretty
> excessive, at least it allowed the sitemap to stabilise.

Ok, then let's keep it as a general principal :-)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 03:48:39PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Juan Jose Pablos wrote, On 02/09/2003 15.19:
> >Hi List,
> >
> >Do we want to add this before the release?

It would be nice, but I don't think it should hold up a release.

> I'd say that the person doing the release should decide when he has good
> time to do it. Then, we decide a freeze date some days before it, and
> everything that is committed before becomes part of the release.
>
> This is because IMHO timed releases are better for a project like
> Forrest that has so many extra features in it.
>
> Jeff, if you are still willing to do the release, please tell us when
> and give us a freeze date, so that whoever wants to add other things
> shall do so before that date.

How about Friday 11:00h GMT?

> Also, what about setting other fixed release dates? How about one every
> two months?

Sounds fine as a general principle.  Sometimes a longer period is
warranted.  Although the six-month delay between 0.4 and 0.5 is pretty
excessive, at least it allowed the sitemap to stabilise.

--Jeff

Re: Fixed release dates (was Re: About Integrate Forrest Maven plugin (FOR-55))

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
Dave,

Dave Brondsema wrote:

> What about releases based on certain features?

Fine as well, but to ensure a stable product we need to test after we
incorporate libraries, that takes time, I suggested 2 weeks.

> Or is forrest development still
> too active/changing/young to constrain it to a certain roadmap?

I do not know, but In other to stick to a roadmap, people need to assign
issues to theirselves.

Cheers,
Cheche

Re: Fixed release dates (was Re: About Integrate Forrest Maven plugin (FOR-55))

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Juan Jose Pablos wrote, On 02/09/2003 15.19:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > Do we want to add this before the release?
>
> I'd say that the person doing the release should decide when he has good
> time to do it. Then, we decide a freeze date some days before it, and
> everything that is committed before becomes part of the release.
>
> This is because IMHO timed releases are better for a project like
> Forrest that has so many extra features in it.
>
> Jeff, if you are still willing to do the release, please tell us when
> and give us a freeze date, so that whoever wants to add other things
> shall do so before that date.
>
> Also, what about setting other fixed release dates? How about one every
> two months?

What about releases based on certain features?  For example, say 0.6 will
have a redesigned directory structure.  Or is forrest development still
too active/changing/young to constrain it to a certain roadmap?

Dave Brondsema