Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Mark Liu <ma...@apache.org> on 2019/08/02 18:35:31 UTC

Update on Python Gradle test configuration unification

Hi all,

Some refactors are made recently on Python Gradle configurations to unify
tests among Py2 and Py3x. More specifically, Py2 tests defined in
sdks/python/build.gradle
<https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/sdks/python/build.gradle> were
moved to sdks/python/test-suites
<https://github.com/apache/beam/tree/master/sdks/python/test-suites> under
subdirectories corresponding to runner/type + py version.

After the movement, Py2 tests are located under:
  test-suites/dataflow/py2
  test-suites/direct/py2
  test-suites/portable/py2
  test-suites/tox/py2

<https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/sdks/python/build.gradle>
sdks/python/build.gradle
<https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/sdks/python/build.gradle>
become much simpler and will hold basic builds/analysis tasks for Python
SDK in general.

This is related to early discussions in this thread
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7c48200678c570c6e42d4933f8ea4f9324d82f7ae720b591a93ffcda@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E>
@dev
and aim to avoid confusion on test configuration and divergent between Py2
and Py3 testing. And potentially help to reduce code duplication in Gradle.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Update on Python Gradle test configuration unification

Posted by Mark Liu <ma...@google.com>.
+1 for increasing tests on Python3.

As we know that Python2 will be officially deprecated EOF 2019, we should
put more focus on Python3 coverage in order to support features/components
in the long term. Replicating existing Python2 tests configurations should
be straightforward and will help to unveil Python3 issues as early as
possible.

Thanks,
Mark

Posted by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>.