Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/07 18:52:30 UTC

Preparing for continuum-1.1-alpha-1

Ok, well the little poll thread I made seemed to be strongly in favor
of getting things pulled together to start getting alpha releases out
of continuum.  So with that in mind here is a list of a few things
that we need to get in order for an alpha release that I shamelessly
started base on bretts comments

- properly mark up the model as it was for 1.0.3 release
- add methods to continuum-data-management to utilise that and then
make any necessary transformations (c-d-m will do the basic 1-to-1
conversions)
- probably write a little CLI to fire it off.
- vet jira for a 1.1 alpha 1 release version and maybe schedule out a
couple of alpha-# releases.

I think I'll start in on the data management bit now since that seems
like the biggest hurdle.  I am not convinced we really need to worry
about a continuum 1.0.3 -> continuum 1.1 migration ability...its not a
difficult thing to get projects loaded back up into continuum...but
we'll see I guess.

anyone have anything to add?

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Re: Preparing for continuum-1.1-alpha-1

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 3/13/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> > do we want to release the final 1.1 in 2050?
>
> I think you might need to help with the definition of 'constructive'
> criticism :)

it's just my english that is badly :p

> > This is how it looks to me from outside, as I didn't have time lately
> > to work on Continuum.
>
> /me throws back the peanuts :D

/me likes peanuts

--
I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.

Re: Preparing for continuum-1.1-alpha-1

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
hm, thats a great way to do it, thanks wendy..

I'll just call the vote then :)

jesse

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
Even if it's a minor releases, we need to put them in the repo, because we're under the Maven umbrella so it's better if we respect the Maven philosophy.

My 2 cents.

Emmanuel

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
might as well just use this thread...

I have continuum 1.1 alpha 1 staged now...but I have one concern about
calling a vote on this and making it official...

Its kinda big (16M war, 25M plexus app) and I still don't really feel
comfortable releasing something like continuum as an alpha into the
main repositories.

its currently staged at:

http://people.apache.org/~jmcconnell/continuum

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thierry Lach <th...@gmail.com>.
for what my opinion matters, I'm in favor of the bi-weekly schedule.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thierry Lach <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 12/03/2007, at 7:35 AM, Jesse McConnell wrote:

> having to resolve the snapshot dependencies are precisely the reason I
> didn't want to mess with the maven release plugin for this.  I would
> have to release a new plexus-security and probably a couple of other
> little higgly piggly bits.  I think we can get by with the timestamped
> SNAPSHOT dependencies for these things, means we can release alpha's
> more frequently as well since we don't have to deal with
> micro-releasing the dependencies each time.

I think its worth doing a proper release. I think we have to if we
intend to publish it to anyone as a binary so that we know what they
really have.

It will also drive us to do small, consumable releases of those
components and not upgrade to the latest plexus-kitchensink.

On 13/03/2007, at 10:31 AM, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> These are the numbers I see in jira right now
> 1.1-alpha-1  	11
> 1.1-alpha-2 	72
> 1.1-alpha-# 	156

Yeah, I think these are both a bit aggressive. But let's worry about
the first alpha and see how people respond.

> do we want to release the final 1.1 in 2050?

I think you might need to help with the definition of 'constructive'
criticism :)

> This is how it looks to me from outside, as I didn't have time lately
> to work on Continuum.

/me throws back the peanuts :D

- Brett

Re: Preparing for continuum-1.1-alpha-1

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org>.
Jesse McConnell wrote:
>> > I think we shouldn't worry about making these actually releases cut
>> > with the maven-release-plugin.  I say we just make a build and get it
>> > available for download.  Also tag the continuum trunk accordingly.
>> > Then we ought to try to release a new alpha every few weeks until we
>> > have the alpha-# issues converging towards 0.
>>
>> Why not? Using the Maven plugin is generally easier than doing it by
>> hand. Only issue that comes to mind are snapshots dependencies.
>
> having to resolve the snapshot dependencies are precisely the reason I
> didn't want to mess with the maven release plugin for this.  I would
> have to release a new plexus-security and probably a couple of other
> little higgly piggly bits.  I think we can get by with the timestamped
> SNAPSHOT dependencies for these things, means we can release alpha's
> more frequently as well since we don't have to deal with
> micro-releasing the dependencies each time.

+1 for timestamped snapshots.

Can we get these pushed to the releases repository so it's possible to
build the alpha later? Or perhaps we don't care about the exact
reproducibility of the alphas? People can build the dependent sources
from subversion after all (yay open source).

>> Seems like a good pick, but I have a couple of comments:
>>
>> CONTINUUM-253: why? can't it be done after the release?
>
> it can, it is just done partially in a couple of places and I thought
> it might be nice to have that all collated together, but yes..it can
> be pushed a bit

I'm just trying to push, it's totally up to you as you're doing the work
and I'm just bitching.

>> CONTINUUM-827: sounds to me like this is something that can take a
>> while, is it worth waiting for? Remember that the target for the next
>> alpha should be within a month.
>
> fine by me :)
>
>> What is the time estimate on completing all of the issues?
>
> I want to see this pushed this week and then every couple of weeks
> from here on out.

Shibby.

--
Trygve

Re: Preparing for continuum-1.1-alpha-1

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
ok, I'll plow through the rest of the uncategorized issues now :)

jesse

Posted by Thierry Lach <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik Bengtson <er...@jpox.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thierry Lach <th...@gmail.com>.
A couple of things:

   1. Once the first alpha is released, why not try to put a new one out
   there every week or every two weeks?  Anything scheduled for the alpha-2
   release (for example) that isn't done could be moved back to alpha-3, and so
   on.
   2. I'd love to be able to try to provide more than the couple of
   simplistic patches that I've managed so far, but I'm running into a number
   of technologies that I'm familiar with only in concept that are used in
   Continuum, modello and plexus to name the primary ones.  It would be nice to
   have a brief road-map on how to add certain kinds of features to Continuum,
   such as adding a column to a table and adding editing capability to a
   specific page.

On 3/13/07, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:

> A bit of (constructive) criticism ahead
>
> On 3/9/07, Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have gone through jira issues there were assigned to 1.1 and spread
> > things out a bit.
> >
> > here is my criteria I used in separating out the issues:
> >
> > 1.1-alpha-1 -> issues that need to be addressed asap before we pull
> > any kinda alpha
> > 1.1-alpha-2 -> higher importance issues and ones generally related to
> xml-rpc
> > 1.1-alpha-# -> issues that probably ought to be resolved in the alpha
> releases
> > Future -> stuff that probably ain't going to get done any day soon
>

> These are the numbers I see in jira right now
> 1.1-alpha-1     11
> 1.1-alpha-2     72
> 1.1-alpha-#     156
>
> Am I the only one that thinks we are lost?
> 230+ issues before having even a beta?
> do we want to release the final 1.1 in 2050?

<snip/>

Re: Preparing for continuum-1.1-alpha-1

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 3/13/07, Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> to be perfectly honest, I think there are a number of smelly parts
> inside of continuum right now, I have worked out designs and written
> mails on the subject a number of times to this list, but I haven't had
> the time to just sit down and fix the things I find most annoying, I
> tried with rahul back around xmas but I wasn't able to focus on it
> like I had hoped...so one of my prime motivations in pushing to get
> this released as an alpha is to, as trygve said, just get something
> out there since its been so long.  There are a lot of nice
> improvements in continuum, but there are a chunk of nasties that I
> think with the proper time and some motivation we can get ironed out.

exactly, there are smelly parts that you would like to fix, but there
will always be, and that shouldn't block releases. Specially in a
community, people will always find a "better" way to do something that
somebody else did, and that will get you in a vicious cycle of redoing
things.

Anyway I think you got my point, so i'm happy ;)

Re: Preparing for continuum-1.1-alpha-1

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
On 3/13/07, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> A bit of (constructive) criticism ahead

> These are the numbers I see in jira right now
> 1.1-alpha-1     11
> 1.1-alpha-2     72
> 1.1-alpha-#     156

that is correct, and I frankly don't think there is a hill of beans
chance of resolving all of those.  The alpha-1 numbers are mostly
trivial issues that just need to be looked at, the alpha-2 are ones
that I figure we really ought to be addressing since they (largely)
address functionality that ought to be fixed or exist.  I see the
alpha-2 ones getting resolved on a hopefully weekly/fortnight
schedule, pushing those issues not resolved forward to alpha-3 until
they are either resolved, or moved into that alpha-# version.  If
anyone has an issue in alpha-# they really want resolved they can fix
it and put it in the alpha-2 or 3 or live with it not making it into
release.

perhaps I should rename the alpha-# to 'bucket', stuff that someone
had a problem with and ought to be fixed, that we'll get to if we can,
but its not a blocker or anything.

but you are correct, no way all that will get done

> Am I the only one that thinks we are lost?
> 230+ issues before having even a beta?
> do we want to release the final 1.1 in 2050?

I was thinking 2039, just in time for us to run out of long timestamps
or something

> it shouldn't take us long to get dependencies released, this is our
> process, if the process needs to be improved we can talk about it, but
> apply it only sometimes doesn't sound right

I would like us to get out of the habit of forcing releases of
alpha-foo all over the place just to release something that
is...alpha.

so how do we fix _that_? :)

> if nobody takes care of an issue or there's no patch that issue should
> be pushed, period.
> This is a community and if people don't help on their own issues
> and/or they can't convince somebody to help too bad for them.

this is where you hit upon a problem I have with doing issue
triage...I have a real hard time just closing something as 'Can't
Reproduce' or 'As Designed' or whatever...so I just shoved it into
alpha-#...Future was easy, those were new things to design or
whatever...

> i would get alpha 1 out of the door right now, as long as there is no
> blocker issues, I think that's the hint, if there are no blocker
> issues the release can't be blocked, and many people have already
> asked about making a release.
>

> This is how it looks to me from outside, as I didn't have time lately
> to work on Continuum.

to be perfectly honest, I think there are a number of smelly parts
inside of continuum right now, I have worked out designs and written
mails on the subject a number of times to this list, but I haven't had
the time to just sit down and fix the things I find most annoying, I
tried with rahul back around xmas but I wasn't able to focus on it
like I had hoped...so one of my prime motivations in pushing to get
this released as an alpha is to, as trygve said, just get something
out there since its been so long.  There are a lot of nice
improvements in continuum, but there are a chunk of nasties that I
think with the proper time and some motivation we can get ironed out.

anyway, thats enough for me...

jesse

p.s. and no one has mentioned capturing all the changes into
documentation yet...omg that will be a pain...

Re: Preparing for continuum-1.1-alpha-1

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
A bit of (constructive) criticism ahead

On 3/9/07, Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have gone through jira issues there were assigned to 1.1 and spread
> things out a bit.
>
> here is my criteria I used in separating out the issues:
>
> 1.1-alpha-1 -> issues that need to be addressed asap before we pull
> any kinda alpha
> 1.1-alpha-2 -> higher importance issues and ones generally related to xml-rpc
> 1.1-alpha-# -> issues that probably ought to be resolved in the alpha releases
> Future -> stuff that probably ain't going to get done any day soon

These are the numbers I see in jira right now
1.1-alpha-1  	11
1.1-alpha-2 	72
1.1-alpha-# 	156

Am I the only one that thinks we are lost?
230+ issues before having even a beta?
do we want to release the final 1.1 in 2050?

Perfect software doesn't exist, this is getting really out of control.
Any 1.x release that takes more than 3 months should make us think
that something is wrong and we are over planning.

> the idea being that we can make new sequential release issues off of
> the 1.1-alpha-# release tag until we are done with alpha releases.  I
> think once 1.1-alpha-1 is released then we can go through 1.1-alpha-2
> and decide what should be done, make a new release called 1.1-alpha-3
> and bulk move issues that aren't going to be addressed then (like
> maybe all the xml-rpc issues)

as I said other times we are using alpha as an excuse, if something
breaks then we can say "it was just an alpha". I would say no big
deal, if 1.1 has problems they will be fixed in 1.1.x, it's fine as
long as it doesn't take one year to get it out

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
On 3/7/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 07/03/2007, at 9:52 AM, Jesse McConnell wrote:
>
> > > I think I'll start in on the data management bit now since that seems
> > like the biggest hurdle.  I am not convinced we really need to worry
> > about a continuum 1.0.3 -> continuum 1.1 migration ability...its not a
> > difficult thing to get projects loaded back up into continuum...but
> > we'll see I guess.
>
> It is a pain, but having said that we could potentially add it in a
> later milestone. I wouldn't want a final version without it.

+1

Re: Preparing for continuum-1.1-alpha-1

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
i'd say, get the alpha asap and then worry about tooling, people will
request it but hopefully we'll get help when people start trying it.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
well that is a bit of awesome news, thanks erik!

Posted by Erik Bengtson <er...@jpox.org>.