Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jürgen Mangler <ju...@univie.ac.at> on 2004/09/16 02:06:09 UTC

no transaction named `ad' in filesystem

Hi all,

I managed to do the same that is mentioned on contactor.se in
archive-2003-05/0452.shtml. (found via google)

Karl wrote:

 > This error means some part of the filesystem is referencing a
 > non-existent Subversion txn (as opposed to a Berkeley transaction,
 > which is a different beast). This is a bug, but it's not a paradox.
 >
 > If you have some idea of the history of operations on this repository
 > that got it into this situation, that would help us debug...
 >
 > Thanks,
 > -Karl

If it is of any help for you i got a clear idea what i have done. I
commited a file to the repository on a mounted nfs share and at the
same time on the physical machine via "svn commit file://......".

I can also send you the repository and the checked out version where
everything happend - if this is of debugging use for you.

Btw, is ther a way to get rid of this error - repair the repository?
(It's not so important though, i can still cat older version, only
ci/update/... fails)

(I hope this isn't the wrong list)
thanks for your help and your great work

Jürgen

Re: no transaction named `ad' in filesystem

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 21:06, Jürgen Mangler wrote:

> If it is of any help for you i got a clear idea what i have done. I
> commited a file to the repository on a mounted nfs share [...]

Stop the presses.  Your berkeleyDB repository isn't being accessed via
file:/// over NFS, is it?

If so, all bets are off.  Your repository is probably corrupted.  There
are warnings plastered *everywhere* saying not to do this.

If you must use NFS, then upgrade to svn 1.1-rc3 and create a new 'fsfs'
style repository, which doesn't use berkeleyDB.  Use 'svnadmin
dump/load' to migrate your data from one repos to another.