Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Magnus Olstad Hansen <ma...@rialtoforlag.no> on 2008/07/19 08:42:30 UTC

HTTP Req defaults combined Random contr.

Hello,

I'm trying to stress test a server net where we have 3 webserver nodes.
Loadbalancing is done by our client side application (that is, each
client randomly selects which of the webnodes it'll talk to). To test
this correctly I wanted to create the same behavior in JMeter - but
preferrably without setting up my rather long list of request once per
each server. So I thought the following test plan would do the trick
(see the lines with *):

- Test Plan
-- Thread Group
--- Random Controller *
---- HTTP Request Defaults (www1) *
---- HTTP Request Defaults (www2) *
---- HTTP Request Defaults (www3) *
--- HTTP Get
--- HTTP Get
--- HTTP Post
--- Loop
(blah blah blah)

However - this does nothing. Not a single request is sent. I did not
understand much until I suspected that no server were set by the "HTTP
Request Defaults" config elements in the random controller. So I tried
inserting another "HTTP Request Defaults" before the Random Controller -
and it works.

I suppose the problem is that the config block only applies to its
parent level (ie the Random Controller). Any tips on how to get a setup
like this to work?

Thanks for your time!
Magnus

Re: HTTP Req defaults combined Random contr.

Posted by Magnus Olstad Hansen <ma...@rialtoforlag.no>.
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your reply - that's actually what we're going for. I was
maybe a bit too stuck on replicating the functionality of the clients. :)
Additionally our servers are identical so testing one of them should
give a good indication of the two others...

Still - it would be interesting to know if there's an easy way to
actually make the described problem happen in JMeter. :)

Take care,
Magnus

Posted by kirk <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi Magnus,