Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Manickam P <ma...@outlook.com> on 2013/09/30 13:27:24 UTC

unable to create a table in hive

Guys,
when i try to create a new table in hive i am getting the below error. FAILED: Error in metadata: MetaException(message:Got exception: java.io.FileNotFoundException /user)FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask
I've created direcotries in hdfs like /home/storate/tmp and /home/storage/user/hive/warehouse and given permission but it is not taking up.
I'm having hdfs federated cluster with 2 name nodes.

does anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
Manickam P

Re: unable to create a table in hive

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
hive-site.xml will be placed under your hive conf directory.

anyway, try using location flag to your ddl like below
CREATE TABLE TABLE_A (EMPLOYEE_ID INT, EMPLOYEE_NAME STRING,
EMPLOYEE_LOCATION STRING, EMPLOYEE_DEPT STRING) ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS
TERMINATED BY '|' STORED AS TEXTFILE LOCATION '/home/storage/user/hive/
warehouse/TABLE_A'

--
Nitin Pawar

RE: unable to create a table in hive