Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org> on 2015/09/10 03:00:25 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.1 RC0

 Hi all,

After a nearly month long [1] toil, with loads of help from Sangjin Lee and
Akira Ajisaka, and 153 commits later, I've created a release candidate RC0
for hadoop-2.6.1.

The RC is available at: http://people.apache.org/~vinodkv/hadoop-2.6.1-RC0/

The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.1-RC0

The maven artifacts are available via repository.apache.org at
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1020

Some notes from our release process
 -  - Sangjin and I moved out a bunch of items pending from 2.6.1 [2] -
non-committed but desired patches. 2.6.1 is already big as is and is late
by any standard, we can definitely include them in the next release.
 - The 2.6.1 wiki page [3] captures some (but not all) of the context of
the patches that we pushed in.
 - Given the number of fixes pushed [4] in, we had to make a bunch of
changes to our original plan - we added a few improvements that helped us
backport patches easier (or in many cases made backports possible), and we
dropped a few that didn't make sense (HDFS-7831, HDFS-7926, HDFS-7676,
HDFS-7611, HDFS-7843, HDFS-8850).
 - I ran all the unit tests which (surprisingly?) passed. (Except for one,
which pointed out a missing fix HDFS-7552).

As discussed before [5]
 - This release is the first point release after 2.6.0
 - I’d like to use this as a starting release for 2.6.2 in a few weeks and
then follow up with more of these.

Please try the release and vote; the vote will run for the usual 5 days.

Thanks,
Vinod

[1] Hadoop 2.6.1 Release process thread:
http://markmail.org/thread/wkbgkxkhntx5tlux
[2] 2.6.1 Pending tickets:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12331711
[3] 2.6.1 Wiki page:
https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Release-2.6.1-Working-Notes
[4] List of 2.6.1 patches pushed:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=fixVersion%20%3D%202.6.1%20and%20labels%20%3D%20%222.6.1-candidate%22
[5] Planning Hadoop 2.6.1 release:
http://markmail.org/thread/sbykjn5xgnksh6wg

PS:
 - Note that branch-2.6 which will be the base for 2.6.2 doesn't have these
fixes yet. Once 2.6.1 goes through, I plan to rebase branch-2.6 based off
2.6.1.
 - Patches that got into 2.6.1 all the way from 2.8 are NOT in 2.7.2 yet,
this will be done as a followup.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.1 RC0

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
When I meant rebase, I meant “start with 2.6.1 + add patches that are already in branch-2.6”.

The other way around “apply all 2.6.1 patches on today’s 2.6” is very hard for me. I just came out of a very long process of 153 cherry-pick+merges+test, cannot do that again.

Thanks
+Vinod

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@altiscale.com>.

Re: 2.6.1 follow up activities [Was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.1 RC0]

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
I’ve finished this one too. Trunk, branch-2, branch-2.7 and branch-2.6 reflect the backports. I haven’t touched the point branches like 2.7.1.

Thanks
+Vinod

On Sep 10, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:

Updating CHANGES.txt entries to reflect the patch-move up to 2.6.1

Re: 2.6.1 follow up activities [Was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.1 RC0]

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I pointed master branch of hbase to 2.6.1 RC0.
Ran unit test suite and results are good.

Cheers

Posted by Vinod Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks for the verification Nick!

Regarding that one issue, we saw this before itself in 2.7 and deemed it to be a compatible change given the expected usage of the API. The error in your report is “a client class C is not abstract and does not override abstract method in ApplicationBaseProtocol.”, but we do not expect clients to extend this communication protocol, only bind to it as a calling interface.

Your report was useful in general otherwise though as I forgot to run jdiff again! With this, things are looking good on the latest RC that I am going to push out now.

Thanks
+Vinod

On Sep 16, 2015, at 12:05 PM, Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>> wrote:

Hi folks,

I ran a modified version [0] of the compatibility checking tool we use in HBase over this release. There's one source-related issue [1] in YARN API that may need to be addressed in the next candidate. Otherwise, it's looking pretty clean for a patch release. Nice job!

[0]: http://people.apache.org/~ndimiduk/check_compat_hadoop.patch
[1]: http://people.apache.org/~ndimiduk/release-2.6.0_release-2.6.1-RC0_compat_report.html

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
One more popped in from  Jeff Zhang from Apache Tez: YARN-4154.

Looking at that too for RC1.

Thanks
+Vinod

Posted by Vinod Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.