Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Fredrik Jonson <fr...@myrealbox.com> on 2009/01/28 19:28:10 UTC

Re: Deploy to a non-running server how?

In <21...@talk.nabble.com> Juergen Weber wrote:

>  we'd like to have a script-controlled deployment of the server and some
>  applications. What if we'd like [...] each new application version will
>  be copied onto the target machine at night without the server running.

There is offline support in deployer.sh, using the argument '-o'.

With the command 'deployer.sh -o deploy foo.ear' you should be able
to deploy a application in a geronimo installation that isn't running?

Of course, you need to copy the EAR file to the server first, and run
the commmand locally on the server - using ssh or something similar.

--
Fredrik Jonson

Re: Deploy to a non-running server how?

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.

djencks wrote:

> Out of curiosity why don't you just build the custom server assembly
> to include your apps?

Well, company policy dictates that an application be assembled by batch from
the repository before it goes to production. So the idea was to put the
minimal server into repository together with our applications sources, build
our application and combine it using deployer.sh, tar it and have it copyied
to the production machine.
Building a plugin of the application by batch would be an extra (and
Geronimo-specific) step that would have to be implemented, but I guess I'll
have to do it (if the deployer can install it offline)

Anyway, I'd like it if a full installation on a machine could offline deploy
to another installation, I'm thinking about opening a jira for this.

Thanks you,
Juergen

Re: Deploy to a non-running server how?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Feb 5, 2009, at 4:49 AM, Juergen Weber wrote:

> Thanks, that works so far.
>
> But now the next step. I've created a custom server assembly and
> reduced a
> server to Boilerplate Minimal and OpenEJB. This works, the server
> comes up.
>
> But how do you deploy EJBs to this server? deploy --offline does not
> work
> (see below), I guess because I did not include any deployer plugin
> to the
> server.

right.

> But, deploying to a non-running server is only copying and
> manipulation of
> config.xml,

Installing plugins is like that, but deploying an ee app involves
constructing a plugin as well, which is what the ear deployer and
openejb deployer do for you.

> so this should also work from deploy.sh of another full
> installation (B) on the same machine.
>
> So, how can I tell deploy.sh of installation (B) to offline deploy to
> installation (A) ? This would mean something like --offline --uri
> file:/myGeronimoInstallation
> But there is no file uri, is it?
> At least not in http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/deploy.html

If you don't want to include the deployers in your custom server you
need to build your apps into plugins and install them.  I don't
actually recall if you can install plugins offline or not but at least
its a plausible goal.

Out of curiosity why don't you just build the custom server assembly
to include your apps?

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, that works so far.

But now the next step. I've created a custom server assembly and reduced a
server to Boilerplate Minimal and OpenEJB. This works, the server comes up.

But how do you deploy EJBs to this server? deploy --offline does not work
(see below), I guess because I did not include any deployer plugin to the
server.
But, deploying to a non-running server is only copying and manipulation of
config.xml, so this should also work from deploy.sh of another full
[...]

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.getGBean(BasicKernel.java:282)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.MainConfigurationBootstrapper.getMain(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:100)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.MainConfigurationBootstrapper.getMain(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:59)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.MainConfigurationBootstrapper.main(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:38)