Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/26 17:03:37 UTC

The 'developer experience' of getting started into the project

Hello

Hopefully soon we'll be able to get the source code up on Git.  When we do
we'll really want to quickly focus on how to provide as clean and intuitive
as possible.

Specific areas we'll want to focus on are making it easy for people to :

- Build NiFi

Right now the build requires a lot of knowledge about the ordering in which
to build and is a lot of separate modules.  I propose we move as close to a
single parent pom model as possible.  Recognizing though that we do want
the extensions (processors, controller tasks, reporting tasks, etc..) to be
able to evolve at a different rate than the core framework, api, etc.

Bottom line here is that the easier we make it to build and navigate the
project the easier it will be for folks to contribute and understand.

- Build a new processor / extension / test

We will need to focus on documenting and providing step-by-step guides to
building new processors and extensions.  Will want a very strong emphasis
here on how to effective unit test them as the inherent 'unit-testability'
is a core strength/power of FBP.  We should also provide a good discussion
on how to think about naming patterns, documenting of capabilities for
in-line help, etc..

Thanks
Joe

Re: The 'developer experience' of getting started into the project

Posted by Jason Carey <jc...@gmail.com>.
Both great areas to think about and improve.  One comment on testing,
I don't think we should limit our emphasis to unit testing.  I think
there is value in integration testing multiple processors working in
concert.  Additionally, for both unit and integration testing, we need
to make it as easy as possible for developers to write their tests
cleanly and clearly.

--Jason