Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/20 23:26:22 UTC

[RT] Content profiling

It seems this comes up from time to time and I'm wondering if we need
a document or a better way to handle it.

http://www.nabble.com/Hiding-sections-t1312607.html

http://www.nabble.com/New-Plugin%3A-Filtering-output-t23233.html#a65955

http://www.nabble.com/Different-views-for-the-same-source-file-t267253.html#a751299

I think there have been more but I couldn't turn them up.  I know I've
read good discussion from Nicola Ken on the subject, for example, but
couldn't find it.  Anyway, it seems like a reasonable feature for a
documentation system to have -- the ability to profile the content for
particular readers -- so we either need a doc, a new feature, or ???
Maybe we could make it a more integral function of the dispatcher
work?  (e.g, have profile/role based contracts/views -- pelt.user.fv &
pelt.dev.fv)

--tim

Re: [RT] Content profiling

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Tim Williams wrote:
> It seems this comes up from time to time and I'm wondering if we need
> a document or a better way to handle it.
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Hiding-sections-t1312607.html
>
> http://www.nabble.com/New-Plugin%3A-Filtering-output-t23233.html#a65955
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Different-views-for-the-same-source-file-t267253.html#a751299

Going from memory, this last one is not the same as the other two. My
need is to have a different structure for the page, whereas the other
two are about filtering the content of the page.

> Maybe we could make it a more integral function of the dispatcher
> work?  (e.g, have profile/role based contracts/views -- pelt.user.fv &
> pelt.dev.fv)

For the different structures the dispatcher should be adaptable, if only
the damn thing would stop moving every time I get time to look at it ;-)

For the filtered content, see my proposal on the user lists for the
content filtering (your first reference above). This solution can easily
be added to the content-main contract. It is not really a feature for
the dispatcher itself, but can be implemented in the dispatcher.

In short, I think it would make a great feature. I don't have the time
to implement it though. Hopefully we can coax the user in the above
thread to implement it and provide a patch. It's then a simple case of
extracting it into a contract.

Ross