Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Michael R. Schwab" <Mi...@qcc.ca> on 2002/09/03 19:55:57 UTC

error accessing a context-param from web.xml

Hi,

I am fairly new to using Tomcat.  I am attempting to use a centralized
location to define the MySQL access configuration info.  It is my
understanding that the /WEB-INF/web.xml is the best location to store
this info.

I have defined a set of JDBC parameters such as the driver info shown
below in my web.xml file for the web app:

<context-param>
    <param-name>jdbc.driver</param-name>
    <param-value>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</param-value>
</context-param>

Within a JSP file, I attempt to get the parameter via the implicit
application variable:

<sql:setDataSource
    driver="<%= application.getInitParameter("jdbc.driver") %>"
    url="<%= application.getInitParameter("jdbc.url") %>"
    user="<%= application.getInitParameter("jdbc.username")" %>"
    password="<%= application.getInitParameter("jdbc.password")" %>"
    var="db" />

Unfortunately, I receive the following error:

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParseException:
/search-all-cables.jsp(10,56) Attribute jdbc.driver has no value
    at org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspReader.parseAttributeValue(JspReader.java:563)

FYI, I am using Tomcat 4.0.4 with J2SDK 1.4.0_01.

Thank you,
Michael
--
Michael R. Schwab
Design Engineer

Re: error accessing a context-param from web.xml

Posted by Irina Lishchenko <il...@lishchenko.de>.
Probably your task is better to accomplish with JNDI Resources,
http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/jndi-resources-howto.html
That is more "elegant" solution, and that is for what JNDI Resources are
designed

Or are there any other reasons why do you want to carry out this
context-param way?

ilis

Posted by "Michael R. Schwab" <Mi...@qcc.ca>.
Thanks ilis and jon,

I'll take a look at JNDI.

Michael

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:34:10AM +0100, jon wingfield wrote:
> The error you are getting is the JSP parser mistaking the data "<%=
> application.getInitParameter(" as the value for the driver parameter of the
> sql:setDataSource tag. Then it reports a parsing error as the next parameter
> is sees is jdbc.driver with no '=', and hence no value, after it.
>
> If you really want to set up a datasource this way try:
>
> <sql:setDataSource
>     driver='<%= application.getInitParameter("jdbc.driver") %>'
>     url='<%= application.getInitParameter("jdbc.url") %>'
>     user='<%= application.getInitParameter("jdbc.username")" %>'
>     password='<%= application.getInitParameter("jdbc.password")" %>'
>     var='db' />
>

> Note the single quotes. This should work as there's nothing wrong with how
> you are accessing the init params.
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html

Michael R. Schwab
Design Engineer