Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Mark Masterson <ma...@d2mail.de> on 2003/05/18 13:59:51 UTC

What constitutes a violation of the Apache license?

Greetings!

I could use some advice/guidance regarding the license.  A company seems to
have taken my Apache licensed idea and are selling it in a commercial
product as their own.

As most of you will know, I am the author of the SNMPTrapAppender,
maintained at my Web site, here:

http://www.m2technologies.net/asp/snmpTrapAppender.asp

Last week, a Google search turned up this:

http://www.adventnet.com/products/javaagent/help/snmp/javadocs/com/adventnet
/utils/appender/SNMPTrapAppender.html
<http://www.adventnet.com/products/javaagent/help/snmp/javadocs/com/adventne
t/utils/appender/SNMPTrapAppender.html>
http://www.adventnet.com/products/javaagent/help/snmp/j_snmp_traps.html

You can, perhaps, imagine my surprise, since I’d known nothing about this
class of AdventNet’s.  I downloaded their agent toolkit, and decompiled
their “SNMPTrapAppender” using JAD.  The following appears to be the
situation:

*       they have based their class on mine.  The class name, many of the
method, and parameter names are all the same.
*       they have – for lack of a better word – stolen my JavaDoc
documentation.  Large portions of their documentation is word-for-word
identical with mine.
*       They do *not*, however, appear to be using my source code directly.
The decompiled class resembles mine only superficially.  At worst, they took
a very early version of my class and developed away from it.

What can I, or should I do?  I’ve written to the company – the text of my
mail to them is attached below.  I’m not really interested in getting into a
conflict with these people, but I’m not too thrilled about what seems to
have happened here.  Am I overreacting?  Underreacting?  :-)

What do you guys think?  I’d appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers,
Mark

Hello Peter,

>>Or send me your requirement in an e-mail and we can respond to you.<<

I would be glad to explain my interest in the Agent Toolkit, but I doubt
that you are going to like my answer.

I am the author of the SNMPTrapAppender, an Open Source add-on for the
Jakarta Log4J logging tool.  The appender allows an application to send
Log4J formatted logging events as traps.  See here:

http://www.m2technologies.net/asp/snmpTrapAppender.asp

Interestingly (from your perspective, perhaps) I developed the very first
version of this code using the AdventNet toolkit, more than two years ago.
Due to concerns about licensing, openness, etc. expressed by the Log4J team,
however, I soon switched over to using freely available, open-source SNMP
libraries; i.e. OpenNMS’s JoeSNMP, NetSNMP and Wengsoft’s library.

Last week, much to my surprise, I stumbled across the following:

http://www.adventnet.com/products/javaagent/help/snmp/javadocs/com/adventnet
/utils/appender/SNMPTrapAppender.html
<http://www.adventnet.com/products/javaagent/help/snmp/javadocs/com/adventne
t/utils/appender/SNMPTrapAppender.html>

… And this …

http://www.adventnet.com/products/javaagent/help/snmp/j_snmp_traps.html

….  You can imagine my surprise when I noticed that portions of the JavaDoc’
s at the first URI are identical, word-for-word, with the documentation for
my appender.  The name of your class is also exactly the same, as are many
of the method and parameter names.

Hmmm….  I promptly downloaded your toolkit, and then decompiled your
SNMPTrapAppender using JAD.  It appears that you are not using my code
directly – at most, someone took a very early version of my class, and
developed away from it.  Thus, it does not seem that one can accuse your
company of being in direct violation of the Apache license.  Although you do
not mention me or my code anywhere in your documentation, you do not seem to
be using my code directly.  Your company has clearly based this class on my
idea, and someone has clearly stolen my documentation and used it as your
own.

I will be writing to the Jakarta folks to ask them for advice about the
situation.

In the meantime, I’d like to suggest the following.  Your SNMPTrapAppender
is a bit primitive – the newest version of mine surpasses it in features.  I
believe that you are doing your users a disservice by taking this path.
Here is an alternative:

The current version of my appender uses a pluggable architecture to allow
for (theoretically) the use of any concrete implementation of an SNMP
library.  Why don’t we work together to develop such a class (an
“SnmpTrapSender” in my terminology) that uses AdventNet?  This class would
then simply use my Jar.  You could then, under the terms of the Apache
License, simply distribute that class, together with my Jar.  You would lose
no functionality versus your current situation, and you would automatically
profit from changes/improvements made in my appender.

I look forward to your response.

Cheers,
Mark Masterson
M2 Technologies
http://www.m2technologies.net

Re: What constitutes a violation of the Apache license?

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
If you chose to distribute your work under the terms of the Apache
license, the terms of the Apache Software License apply. In
particular, the second clause:

  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
  *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
  *    distribution.

AndventNet must acknowledge that their work is based on yours. They must
also reproduce the Apache license with the documentation
and/or other materials provided with their software, which I presume
they distribute in binary form.  Otherwise, they are in breach of
your copyright.

If as you say,they  copied the javadocs and other material word for word, then
we are a confronted with a manifest case of plagiarism and subsequently
your offensive position should be pretty strong. Copyright law is quite
restrictive in the sense that it protects the author's expression of
an idea but not the idea itself (that's where patent law comes into
play). However, when applicable, copyright law is very much in favor of
the author. Without appropriate license or explicit permission from
you AndventNet has absolutely no right to reproduce your work.

What you do next depends on you. Before initiating any legal action, I would
strongly suggest that you consult with a lawyer.

I am not a lawyer. Thus, please treat the above statements with a fair
amount of circumspection.

       ISBN: 2970036908  http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/clm_t.jsp