Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Berlin <db...@dberlin.org> on 2006/02/08 13:55:29 UTC

Re: Should 'svnadmin dump --deltas' write svndiff1 diffs? (was Re: svn commit: r18363)

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 08:47 -0500, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> >>If so, we probably should add a --no-svndiff1 option to dump as well.
> >
> > No, I think that's the wrong way round - we don't want people using
> > revision-based 'dump --deltas' for backup purposes to suddenly find that
> > they're using a format that can only be read by svnadmin 1.4.x.
> >
> > Better would be either to always write svndiff0 (people can pipe it
> > through gzip if they want, and may already be doing so), or perhaps to
> > provide a '--svndiff1' option to write svndiff1 deltas.  We could even
> > look at inferring a default from the filesystem version, though I think
> > we might need both --svndiff1 and --svndiff0 options to override it in
> > that case.
>
> I agree.  The dumpfile format should continue to use the most widely
> handled formats until the format itself *needs* to be bump in order to
> carry information that the existing format cannot carry.  A switch from
> svndiff0 to svndiff1 in the dumpfile format is not necessary, and
> therefore should not not occur at all.  If we want to provide a
> --svndiff1 option to 'svnadmin dump', that's fine with me -- at least
> folks will have to work a little harder to hurt themselves.

I have absolutely no strong feelings on the issue because we have made
incompatible changes to the dump format before, with no backwards
compatibility option (though maybe this occurred before 1.0).

--Dan

Re: Should 'svnadmin dump --deltas' write svndiff1 diffs? (was Re: svn commit: r18363)

Posted by Daniel Berlin <db...@dberlin.org>.
On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 16:48 +0000, Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:55:29AM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 08:47 -0500, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> > > I agree.  The dumpfile format should continue to use the most widely
> > > handled formats until the format itself *needs* to be bump in order to
> > > carry information that the existing format cannot carry.  A switch from
> > > svndiff0 to svndiff1 in the dumpfile format is not necessary, and
> > > therefore should not not occur at all.  If we want to provide a
> > > --svndiff1 option to 'svnadmin dump', that's fine with me -- at least
> > > folks will have to work a little harder to hurt themselves.
> >
> > I have absolutely no strong feelings on the issue because we have made
> > incompatible changes to the dump format before, with no backwards
> > compatibility option (though maybe this occurred before 1.0).
> >

> Yes, the --deltas option was introduced in 1.1.0, and produces dumps
> that can't be read by 1.0.x.  For 1.4.0, we could introduce dumpfile
> format version 4 (and specify that it always contains svndiff1 deltas),
> but I don't think we would want to make it the default.

Okay .......

> Sounds like we should at the least switch back to svndiff0 deltas for
> the current delta dumps.  Any objections to me doing that now?

Not from me.

Re: Should 'svnadmin dump --deltas' write svndiff1 diffs? (was Re: svn commit: r18363)

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Daniel Berlin wrote:
>>So while the --deltas option saves quite a bit of space,
>>'--deltas' + gzip is actually better than '--deltas --svndiff1', or even
>>'--deltas --svndiff1' + gzip.  In this case anyway.
>

> This will always be the case.
>
> 1. Even with the deltas, there is still significant plain text in the
> dump file.
> 2. gzip will get to see larger pieces than we do.
>
> we only get to encode one delta at a time.
>
> Depending on the size of your files and deltas, gzip is going to get to
> compress seeing multiple deltas at once.

Yep.  It's not a surprise at all, and is definitely *not* a poor
reflection on svndiff1's goodness over svndiff0 -- thanks, Daniel!

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: Should 'svnadmin dump --deltas' write svndiff1 diffs? (was Re: svn commit: r18363)

Posted by Daniel Berlin <db...@dberlin.org>.

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.
On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:55:21AM -0500, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> > Yes, the --deltas option was introduced in 1.1.0, and produces dumps
> > that can't be read by 1.0.x.
>
> ... and is not the default.  The default invocation of 'svnadmin dump'
> remains compatible with older versions.

Yes, forgot that bit.  It's important.

> > Sounds like we should at the least switch back to svndiff0 deltas for
> > the current delta dumps.  Any objections to me doing that now?  (We can
> > continue to discuss exactly whether or how we should expose the svndiff1
> > deltas in our dumpstreams, of course).
>
> +1 on switching back to svndiff0 as the default.

Okay, done: r18394.

For anyone wondering about the size differences, I did a quick test with
my own (very small) personal repository:

svnadmin dump {version 2 dumpstream}    18Mb, 100%
             compressed with gzip            18.4%
         --deltas {version 3, svndiff0}       8.8%
             compressed with gzip             3.5%
         --deltas {version 3, svndiff1}       6.5%
             compressed with gzip             4.0%

So while the --deltas option saves quite a bit of space,
'--deltas' + gzip is actually better than '--deltas --svndiff1', or even
'--deltas --svndiff1' + gzip.  In this case anyway.

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: Should 'svnadmin dump --deltas' write svndiff1 diffs? (was Re: svn commit: r18363)

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> Yes, the --deltas option was introduced in 1.1.0, and produces dumps
> that can't be read by 1.0.x.

... and is not the default.  The default invocation of 'svnadmin dump'
remains compatible with older versions.

> Sounds like we should at the least switch back to svndiff0 deltas for
> the current delta dumps.  Any objections to me doing that now?  (We can
> continue to discuss exactly whether or how we should expose the svndiff1
> deltas in our dumpstreams, of course).

+1 on switching back to svndiff0 as the default.

We can add a --svndiff1 option later, which will, when used with
--deltas, cause a dumpstream with a bumped version number (what are we
at, 3?) to be generated.

To be clear about what I'm thinking:

   (no options): dumpstream version 2, no deltas (and thus,
                 svndiff-independent)
   --deltas:  dumpstream version 3, svndiff0 deltas
   --deltas --svndiff1:  dumpstream version 4, svndiff1 deltas

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.
On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 07:19:31AM -0800, Michael Brouwer wrote:
> Won't svndiff1 format dumpfiles be significantly smaller than
> svndiff0?  In that case the option is definitely worth having, though
> I'm not sure what the default should be.

You could pipe the svndiff0-format output through gzip and you'll get
practically the same output, so the option isn't critical.

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: Should 'svnadmin dump --deltas' write svndiff1 diffs? (was Re: svn commit: r18363)

Posted by Michael Brouwer <mb...@gmail.com>.
Won't svndiff1 format dumpfiles be significantly smaller than
svndiff0?  In that case the option is definitely worth having, though
I'm not sure what the default should be.

Michael