Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Serkan Camurcuoglu <se...@telenity.com> on 2008/05/22 01:10:01 UTC

Trying to define a custom window state

Hi all,
I'm trying to use a new window state in order to change the layout of my
portlets. My aim is to declare a custom window state (I named it
local-max) which will indicate that the portlet with this window state
will occupy all the space of its immediate parent layout portlet. For
example, assume that I have 4 portlets in a two-column layout (2x2).
When I switch one of these portlets to the local-max state, this portlet
will be displayed in a single column (at full width) within this layout
fragment, everything else being the same on the page. When I switch back
to the normal state, then the layout will be as it was before.

However, I'm having difficulties trying to achieve this. My plan was to
declare this custom window state in my portlet.xml (and
jetspeed-portlet.xml) and then modify the default layout.vm to take care
of this window state. But Jetspeed does not allow me to use a custom
window state unless I map it to an extended window state (which is only
the "solo" state currently). But the solo state has its own rendering
mechanism, so I do not want to map my state to solo. Actually I would
like to map it to the "normal" window state, but Jetspeed does not allow
this.

Is there a better way of doing this?

I thought of approaching the problem similar to the approach used in the
issue JS2-710 (Dynamically hide portlets at request time), however I'm
using Wicket and I don't know how to set a RenderRequest attribute with
Wicket. Can anybody tell me how to do this?

I've also thought of extending the layout portlets, but it's not useful
unless I can change the window state or set a RenderRequest attribute.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

Re: Trying to define a custom window state

Posted by Serkan Camurcuoglu <se...@telenity.com>.
Yes, I see that in JSR-168 section PLT 9.4 it says "If a custom window
state defined in the deployment descriptor is not mapped to a custom
window state provided by the portal, portlets must not be invoked in
that window state." and you are right.

But I want to do this anyway, couldn't there be any workaround for this?