Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com> on 2002/01/08 21:57:09 UTC

O'Reilly Open Source Convention Call for Proposals

Dear Apache::ASP Community,

I am forwarding this to you with the hopes that some of you
might rise up to the challenge and present on Apache::ASP
at the next O'Reilly open source conference.

O'Reilly Open Source Convention
Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina
July 22-26, 2002 -- San Diego, CA

  http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2002/create/e_sess

The deadline for submitting proposals is March 1, 2002.

If you are willing to put together a 3-hour tutorial, I believe
O'Reilly will fly you out from wherever & give you a $1500
stipend besides.

I would recommend however doing a 45 or 90 minute session partly
because it would be easier, but more importantly sessions are free
for conference attendees so you normally get a much better turnout
than tutorials.  I am not sure what compensation O'Reilly provides
for session speakers, if any, but who needs compensation when
you are passionate about open source :)

Lots of the mod_perl guys don't get there until midweek when the
sessions start because that is all they present on.  But some of the
hard core notables like Stas Bekman & Doug MacEachern are often doing
tutorials so you can catch them earlier on in a mod_perl bar type setting!

You can speak on Apache::ASP in all sort of ways for example:

  * Case Studies:

      - how standards based Apache::ASP let my companies 4 web developers
        turn out 100 client sites last year

      - how we served 1M web users in a month without breaking
        a sweat using Apache::ASP ... some tuning tricks we used too

      - internal help desk: case study in getting things done in
        corporate IT.  Reasons we chose Apache::ASP over other
        web development solution.  Management buy-in hurdles to
        overcome ( they didn't know it wasn't IIS/NT until to late ).

  * Best Practices

      - Large development team methodology, how to create an architecture
        that coordinates 3 perl engineers & 10 web developers all
        working on the same sites.  Looks at dev/QA/production web
        server isolation, publishing methodologies & source control management
        and how Apache::ASP architecture was deployed to facilitate these things.

      - Design for reuse.  Going into how to create perl modules,
        ASP includes & XMLSubs components for increased code reusability
        & better abstraction between data, logic, & formatting ( sounds like XSLT? )

  * Architectural / Config

      - XSLT with Apache::ASP

      - Web Clustering / Scalability with Apache::ASP

      - Performance tuning Apache::ASP, possibly include benchmarking
        and other advanced configs like dual httpd mod_proxy config.

I have done 2 3-hour tutorials for Apache::ASP the past couple
of years which you can find at:

  http://www.apache-asp.org/resources.html#Presentation70b98c21

I will likely go to the conference, but may not be presenting this
year.  I haven't decided yet, but the more the merrier, and I would
be happy to work with whomever on their presentations.

For those that are feeling particularly green there are even these
newer lightning talks where you can do a 5+ minute presentation.

So check it out & let us know what you submit a proposal for!

--Josh