Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/11 23:11:43 UTC

Strategy/Planning Meetup?

Hey all -

Given that a bunch of us on the project are in the Bay Area, would there be
interest in actually meeting up in person to start figuring out what we want
to do with Bigtop going forward? Cloudera should be able to host. If there
is interest, it'd be great if we could meet up fairly soon, I think.

A.

Re: Strategy/Planning Meetup?

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
D'oh! Didn't realize you were in UTC. We'll try to figure out a good time
for the next meetup that can include you as well. Sorry about that!

A.

Posted by Peter Linnell <pl...@apache.org>.
On 08/16/2011 09:50 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:

>>> we
>>>
>>> Where in the UK are you?
>>
>> I'm based in Norfolk - about 100 miles NE of London.
>>

> I'm in Bristol, England, 120m west of London, which means we are
>   sqrt(120^2 + 100^2 - 2x120x100xcos(g))
> miles away where g is the angle between the M4 and the road from London
> to Norfolk
>
> -Steve

I am between Brittany, near Rennes in France and SFO. I am here in SF
now and will be back in France, next week. Then back here end of September.

I know both Bristol and Norfolk. My home town in Massachusetts is
twinned with one in Essex. No one from the UK should take the mickey out
of me for the Yank accent ;-)

Cheers,
Peter

Re: Strategy/Planning Meetup?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Page <ja...@canonical.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Page <ja...@canonical.com>.

Posted by Andre Arcilla <ar...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
Works for me. I will be there

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How does next Thursday at 6 sound to everyone?

+1 (added myself to the wiki)

Re: Strategy/Planning Meetup?

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Peter Linnell <pl...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 08/11/2011 02:11 PM, Andrew Bayer wrote:
>> Hey all -
>>
>> Given that a bunch of us on the project are in the Bay Area, would there be
>> interest in actually meeting up in person to start figuring out what we want
>> to do with Bigtop going forward? Cloudera should be able to host. If there
>> is interest, it'd be great if we could meet up fairly soon, I think.
>>
>> A.
>>

> Could we do this next week, before I head back to Europe ?

A strong +1. I've started a Meeting page:
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/Meetings

where I intend to track past and proposed face-to-face meetings
of the Bigtop community. Please make sure to add your time
constraints to it so that we can pick a date that works for
everybody.

Also make sure to add things you care about to the agenda.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Strategy/Planning Meetup?

Posted by Peter Linnell <pl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Sounds great! I would love to meet you guys in person.

-- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro

Posted by Peter Linnell` <pl...@cloudera.com>.
On 08/11/2011 02:26 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
> Cloudera can definitely host.  We'll setup a conference number / skype
> for remote people, and take notes to share on the list.
>
> Thanks,
> Eli
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey all -
>>
>> Given that a bunch of us on the project are in the Bay Area, would there be
>> interest in actually meeting up in person to start figuring out what we want
>> to do with Bigtop going forward? Cloudera should be able to host. If there
>> is interest, it'd be great if we could meet up fairly soon, I think.
>>
>> A.

I likewise would like to particpate. However, I am leaving SF the 19th
for returning to France short term.

I can join via Skype as an alternative.

Thanks,
Peter

Re: Strategy/Planning Meetup?

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
I'm not going to be able to make it tonight, but with my mentor hat on, I request:

1. Please send out minutes of what was discussed.

2. No decisions about the project can be adopted except by discussions on the email lists.

-- Owen

Re: Strategy/Planning Meetup?

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
See comments inline.

On 08/18/2011 06:47 AM, James Page wrote:
> Hi All
>
> On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 14:11 -0700, Andrew Bayer wrote:
>> Given that a bunch of us on the project are in the Bay Area, would
>> there be
>> interest in actually meeting up in person to start figuring out what
>> we want
>> to do with Bigtop going forward? Cloudera should be able to host. If
>> there
>> is interest, it'd be great if we could meet up fairly soon, I think.
> As I won't be able to make the meeting later today here are a few of my
> thoughts on what I would like to see from Bigtop going forwards;
> apologies in advance if this is a little Ubuntu centric...
>
> 1) Standardized set of reference platforms
>
> So at the moment the website states 'Ubuntu 10.10, CentOS 5 and openSUSE
> 11.4'.  I can't speak authoritatively for CentOS or openSUSE but from an
> Ubuntu perspective having reference packages from the Bigtop suite for
> the following pattern of releases makes sense:
>
>         a) Current and Previous Long Term Support releases - currently
>         Hardy and Lucid; this allows folks using bigtop on these
>         releases of Ubuntu (every two years) to have a good support and
>         upgrade story.
>
>         b) Current and Previous Interim/LTS releases - currently Natty
>         and Maverick - but should shift to Oneiric and Natty once the
>         next Ubuntu release is out of the door. Most people who don't
>         use LTS releases tend to upgrade more regularly so maintaining
>         more than that does not make sense - so having a good upgrade
>         path is important.
>
> Obviously where this overlaps with an LTS we can reduce the number of
> reference platforms.
>
> Adopting such a policy may mean we need to consider how packaging is
> maintained for different releases of a platform.

This seems perfectly reasonable and applicable to other GNU/Linux
distributions.
BigTop is also a volunteer driven project, so we need to make sure we
have enough people volunteering to help with these distributions. I can
help with some, but will not have time for all of them. My personal
focus would be on latest ubuntu, debian, centos, fedora, mageia and
openSUSE.

Given we can't patch for build or security issues, we may also need to
decide what to do if a new release of a project can't be built on some
of the platforms we care about. My guess is we would work with upstream
project to fix it for next release and skip that broken release in BigTop.

> 2) Alternative architectures
>
> ARM on server is getting alot of attention ATM even though 'real'
> hardware is not currently in production - this is probably just one
> example but maybe we should give consideration to testing Bigtop on non-
> x86 architectures as well.

Sounds like fun. I would be interested in helping with that.

You may also be interested in this thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-dev/201105.mbox/ajax/%3CBANLkTi=0Duq1YO48Jj+bxMQ1F_Qo3Tt_Fg@mail.gmail.com%3E

> 3) Published Packages
>
> For the reference platforms and architectures that we build for/test
> should we publish the resulting package artefacts officially?

>From my understanding and discussions with some mentors, Apache only
cares about the source artifact. So packages would be some convenience
artifacts.
But this sounds like a great idea.

Posted by James Page <ja...@canonical.com>.
Hi All

Posted by Andre Arcilla <ar...@apache.org>.
Excellent idea. I suggest:

a. Meet starting 6pm-7pm PST to make scheduling easier
b. Bring a list of your ideas for Bigtop growth and development

Thanks

Andre